Graphic: May-king history: Mac May’s road to 2,000 kills

By Rebekah Limb and Bryan Palmero

In the final match of her final regular season with UCLA women’s volleyball, graduate student outside hitter/opposite Mac May became the fourth Bruin to reach 2,000 kills in her career. May has etched herself into the program’s record books on numerous occasions throughout her five-year blue and gold career. Follow along to see her journey over the seasons.

Nov. 17, 2016

May is officially announced as a member of coach Michael Sealy’s 2017 signing class. Earlier that month on Nov. 11, the outside hitter led Wahlert Catholic High School to Iowa’s Class 4A volleyball championship, securing tournament MVP honors after averaging 8.7 kills per set in the playoffs.

Aug. 25, 2017

Starting in the team’s season-opening victory over San Diego in the Texaco Rainbow Wahine Invitational in Honolulu, May makes her UCLA debut and finishes with eight kills off 13 total attack attempts. The then-freshman was later named to the All-Tournament Team.

Nov. 28, 2017

Following her first season in Westwood, May earned an All-Pac 12 Honorable Mention nod and was named to the Pac-12 All-Freshman Team. The outside hitter/opposite swung for 2.59 kills per set and led the team with 33 service aces.

Oct. 19, 2018

May set a then-career high in kills during a four-set victory over Washington with 27. To go with a .404 hitting percentage, the outside hitter/opposite added 13 digs in the winning performance for the fifth double-double of her career.

Dec. 26, 2018

After pacing the Bruins in kills per set and service aces, May was named a VolleyballMag.com All-American Honorable Mention. The then-sophomore was named an AVCA All-Pacific South Region Honorable Mention and earned All-Pac-12 First Team honors.

Oct. 6, 2019

May swings for a then-career high 29 kills in a four-set loss to the Huskies. Despite the defeat, the then-junior also tied her career-high in digs with 15.

Dec. 18, 2019

Leading the team in kills per set for the second year in a row, May earned AVCA Second Team All-American accolades. The outside hitter/opposite would also be named Pac-12 Player of the Year after leading the conference in service aces per set.

Feb. 12, 2021

For the third season in a row, May set another career-high against Washington, posting 19 digs in the team’s winning effort. Behind her 16 kills and four service aces, the then-senior led the Bruins to their first home win over the Huskies since 2012.

April 14, 2021

In the first round of the 2020 NCAA women’s volleyball tournament, May swings for 14 kills on a season-high .500 hitting percentage. Versus Rider, May also tied her then-career high in service aces with four to go with four total blocks in the match.

April 21, 2021

After the conclusion of May’s senior season, she picked up another AVCA Second Team All-American nod after leading UCLA in kills and points for the third straight season in a row. The outside hitter/opposite also picked up a VolleyballMag.com Third-Team honor.

Oct. 3, 2021

In her final season with the blue and gold, May recorded a career-high 39 kills in a five-set triumph over Washington State. The single-match kill total was the most ever by a Bruin against a conference foe and marked the second-most in UCLA history.

Nov. 21, 2021

May ties the program record for service aces with eight in a three-set win versus Arizona. Three days later, versus California, the graduate student tallied six service aces – the second-most of her collegiate career.

Nov. 26, 2021

In the final match of the regular season, May takes on USC needing 19 kills to pass the 2,000 kills mark. The outside hitter/opposite poured in 21 kills and became the fourth Bruin to reach the 2K plateau and the first to do so during the NCAA’s rally scoring era.

Nov. 29, 2021

Leading UCLA in kills for four straight seasons, May is named the Pac-12 Player of the Year for the second time in her career. The award capped off a year in which the graduate student set career highs in kills and service aces in a single match as well as over a season.

Rebekah Limb | Assistant Graphics editor
Limb is the 2021-2022 assistant Graphics editor. She was previously a 2020-2021 Graphics contributor. She is also a second-year statistics and cognitive science student at UCLA.
Bryan Palmero | Daily Bruin senior staff
Palmero is a senior staff writer for Sports. He served as the assistant Sports editor on the softball, beach volleyball, women's volleyball, men's volleyball and men's golf beats from 2021-2022 and a Sports reporter on the beach volleyball and women's volleyball beats in 2021. He is a third-year mathematics and economics student.