Men’s basketball’s game canceled against Washington because of COVID-19 protocol

Coach Mick Cronin sits with his team during a timeout. Cronin won’t coach this weekend, as No. 5 UCLA men’s basketball’s contest against Washington scheduled for Sunday has been called off because of COVID-19 protocols within the Husky program. (Ashley Kenney/Photo editor)

By Jon Christon

No. 5 UCLA men’s basketball’s (7-1, 2-0 Pac-12) game against Washington (4-4, 0-1) scheduled for Sunday has been called off because of COVID-19 protocols within the Husky program, according to the Los Angeles Times. Per Pac-12 policy, the Bruins have received a forfeit conference victory because of the cancellation, and the game will not be rescheduled.

The conference’s long-standing forfeiture rule was temporarily modified last season but was re-implemented after an announcement in August.

“If an institution is unable to play a contest through its own fault, it shall forfeit such contest to its opponent,” the announcement said. “The Pac-12 rule provides (Pac-12 Commissioner George Kliavkoff) with discretion to determine whether an institution is at fault or primarily at fault for an inability to play a contest based on the facts of the situation.”

The LA Times reported earlier this week that Washington postponed its Thursday game against Arizona because of seven positive COVID-19 tests within the program.

Friday’s cancellation marks the Bruins’ first contest affected by COVID-19 this season after the team had four games postponed or canceled a season ago. 

After UCLA’s victory over Colorado on Wednesday night, coach Mick Cronin said he hoped the game would not have to be moved but added that his thoughts were with the Huskies.

“I know that we would need to play (because) we wouldn’t play again until Marquette (because) we have finals, so it’d be a long break for us,” Cronin said. “But again, when it comes to that stuff, you just hope all their guys are OK. … (I) hope it just doesn’t become a massive problem for all the sports.”

With the cancellation, UCLA will have more than a week until its next game, when it will square off against Marquette in Milwaukee on Dec. 11.  

Jon Christon | Sports senior staff
Christon is currently a Sports senior staff writer. He was previously the Sports editor on the men's basketball and football beats and the assistant Sports editor on the women's basketball, softball, men's tennis and women's tennis beats. Christon was previously a contributor on the women's basketball and softball beats.