UCLA Library to offer variety of fall educational workshops, film screenings

(Dani Nalangan/Daily Bruin)

By Kate Vedder

The UCLA Library curated more than two dozen programs for the fall quarter, including workshops on how to write a literature review and develop a research plan, to welcome the UCLA community back to campus.

The library programmers partnered with the Film and Television Archive, campus organizations and other institutions to create a wide array of unique workshops.

The library’s fall programming includes a webinar about open access to research data introduced by Roger Wakimoto, the vice chancellor for research and creative activities, according to UCLA Newsroom. Another main component of the programming is the data literacy workshop series. The series covered other topics, including academic clickbait, and the final session will occur Dec. 9 about misinformation in statistics, according to UCLA Newsroom.

As part of the programming, the UCLA Film and Television Archive returned to in-person screenings with a collection of classic and new motion pictures, filmmaker tributes and in-person guests, among other programs.

Patricia Villon, a graduate library and information science student, said she is excited to see the restoration of “Chameleon Street” and “Sambizanga”.

“For some folks who aren’t familiar with ‘Chameleon Street,’ I would consider it a staple of Black independent cinema,” Villon said. “The film never really received wider theatrical distribution.”

She talked about how the films organized by the UCLA Film and Television Archive this quarter provide insight into the history of Los Angeles. The screenings will occur at the Hammer Museum from Nov. 12 to Dec. 18, according to The Archive.

Villon said The Archive allows the public to collectively experience the cinematography while complying with COVID-19 mitigation measures.

“They’re really offering a range of selections that cater to a wide audience,” Villon said.

Suzy Lee, the manager of library public programs at UCLA, said the workshop curators kept in mind that the incoming class and students who were learning remotely may not be familiar with the resources at UCLA.

“It’s just very exciting to look beyond what you might traditionally expect from a workshop series,” Lee said. “The workshops are very intentional. It’s not really about what we want to present, but looking clearly at what students, faculty and researchers in general can learn from us.”

The purpose of the programs is to set students and staff up for success in their research, said Matthew Johnson, the library lead for teaching and learning. He added that a large component of the library’s agenda is to provide advanced training in research skills, which expands on a series of research workshops that the library has been hosting for the past four years.

Some workshops demonstrate how to use the new search catalog tool implemented by all the University of California campuses. The tool unifies all 10 UC libraries under one system, which changes how individuals locate books and online materials, according to UC Library Search.

“We are trying to do a lot of training with our community to make sure that everybody is able to fully take advantage of the tool,” Johnson said.

Johnson also said this the event curators decided to provide a variety of programs, such as a vegan cooking panel, this fall to expand the way people think about what services a library can offer. Another webinar is “An Introduction to Chinese Illustrated Prints” by Lianxi Weng, a former researcher at the Gugong Palace Museum in Beijing.

The calendar of events are designed to support academic achievement through different educational avenues, such as film screenings and presentations, according to UCLA Newsroom.

“We pivoted to methods where we could make sure that we were reaching our community, whether they were in LA or across the world,” Lee said.

Johnson added that the staff members at the UCLA Library come from various backgrounds, which enabled the curators to build off their expertise and develop multifaceted lectures.

“Our overall goal for the workshops is to provide opportunities for the campus community to learn more from the library in a really wide variety of ways and maybe in ways that are outside of what they might learn about through other venues,” Johnson said.

Kate Vedder