Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Allegations against UCLA Health gynecologistsUSAC Elections 2022Abortion Rights 2022Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month

UCLA appoints Dr. E. Dale Abel as chair of Department of Medicine

Endocrinologist Dr. E. Dale Abel (pictured) will serve as the new chair of the Department of Medicine at the David Geffen School of Medicine beginning next year. The Department of Medicine is the largest department at UCLA Health, employing more than 3,000 faculty physicians and staff. (Courtesy of UCLA)

By Victoria Li

UCLA announced Dr. E. Dale Abel as the new chair of medicine at the David Geffen School of Medicine in a press release Monday.

Abel, an endocrinologist, will begin as chair of the Department of Medicine Jan. 1, succeeding current chair Dr. Alan Fogelman, according to the press release. Abel is currently chair and executive officer of the Department of Internal Medicine at the University of Iowa, where he is also a professor of medicine, biochemistry and biomedical engineering.

In addition to his role at the School of Medicine, Abel will serve as executive medical director of the Department of Medicine at UCLA Health, overseeing more than 3,000 faculty physicians and staff across 14 divisions.

At the University of Iowa, Abel directed the Fraternal Order of Eagles Diabetes Research Center. He led projects researching the biological pathways that increase diabetes patients’ risk of heart failure, according to the press release.

Abel has also received awards for his mentorship of biomedical scientists from underrepresented groups with the Endocrine Society.

He earned his medical degree from the University of the West Indies in Kingston, Jamaica, and received a doctorate in physiology from Oxford University. Abel completed his medical education at Northwestern University in Chicago and Harvard Medical School in Boston, later becoming a faculty member at Harvard Medical School and the University of Utah.

“I am proud of my contributions to the University of Iowa and thrilled to be joining UCLA Health and the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, a leading academic health system that provides exceptional patient care, supports innovative research and trains top medical professionals, all in service to a vibrant metropolis and our larger world,” Abel said in the press release.

Victoria Li | Science and Health editor
Li is the 2021-2022 science and health editor. She was previously a contributor for the science and health beat. She is also a third-year human biology and society student at UCLA who enjoys writing about research and public health.
Help Wanted

VISION CARE ASSOCIATES A SPECIALTY CONTACT LENSE PRACTICE IS SEEKING A MOTIVATED INDIVIDUAL. The ideal candidate must posses a positive attitude and be dedicated to delivering excellent customer-patient service in a medical setting at all times. Part-time positions available. Email resume to [email protected]