Scouting report: UCLA women’s soccer vs. USC

By Diego Farinha

No. 3 UCLA women’s soccer (15-0-3, 7-0-3 Pac-12) will challenge top-of-the-table No. 8 USC (13-2-2, 8-0-2) on the last day of the regular season for a chance at the conference title. The Trojans are winless in the last six meetings between the two rivals but only need a draw to fend off the Bruins’ late-season push in the Pac-12 rankings. Here is the scouting report from Sports reporter Diego Farinha – who hopes he can find a seat for the action.

USC
Formation: 4-2-3-1
Goals per game: 2.76
Goals allowed per game: 0.88
X-factor: Counterattacking ability

The Trojans tout one of the top offenses in the country.

And it starts with Penelope Hocking, one of the best forwards in the nation. The senior holds the all-time scoring record for USC after netting her 49th career goal and seventh of nine on the campaign in a 4-1 rout over Colorado on Oct. 7.

Hocking has scored or assisted in every crosstown showdown she’s played in, totaling three goals and three assists in four games against the Bruins. Playing atop the formation, the Anaheim, California, native uses her speed to get behind and stretch defenses. She also has the capability to receive the ball, turn and go 1-on-1 with defenders.

However, Hocking’s status for the contest remains up in the air as the forward has missed the last three games for the Trojans.

But similar to the Bruins’ superb attacking duo of junior forward Mia Fishel and sophomore forward Reilyn Turner, the Trojans are also not just a one-woman wrecking crew. Hocking is joined by midfielder Croix Bethune – who leads the team in goals and assists – and forward Jada Talley.

Bethune was recently named the Pac-12 Offensive Player of the Week for her three-goal weekend against California and Stanford, which included an overtime winner over the Cardinal. As seen against the Northern California teams, Bethune plays the 10 role for the Trojans, providing space for her dribbling skills as well as cracks at goals from layoffs at the attacking line.

Directing the midfield and feeding these attackers is Savannah Demelo. The midfielder has six assists on the season and 27 over her five-year career.

With the speed of the Trojan frontline and the vision of Demelo, USC is very dangerous on the counter attack and plays a very direct style of play, even deferring possession to teams who prefer to pass the ball around.

The Trojans are no strangers to finding the back of the net, as they’ve scored at least two goals in 13 of their last 15 outings. And they’re no stranger to fun either.

UCLA
Formation: 4-4-2 (diamond)
Goals per game: 2.06
Goals allowed per game: 0.56
X-factor: Diverse midfield

Contrary to USC’s style of play, UCLA wants to control the possession and game.

Even with a new midfield makeup, the Bruins’ desire to hold possession remains the same. For the last six games, graduate student midfielder Marley Canales has been playing in a more advanced role while sophomore midfielder Dasia Torbert has occupied the 6 role.

Since the change, Bruin midfielders have recorded five assists on 12 goals, compared to eight assists on the previous 25 scores.

Now that Torbert is playing as a box-to-box ball winner, Canales and graduate student midfielder Olivia Athens are more free to create scoring chances either on the ground or through the air. Senior midfielder Maricarmen Reyes has also been in and out of the lineup because of international duty, but when she is on the pitch, she provides a goal-scoring threat with four goals to her name, including three game-winners.

While the midfield has endured more changes throughout the season, the forwards have been a constant. Fishel leads the team with 12 goals and has also added four assists. Turner has nine scores of her own and the duo has continued to apply pressure to opposing defenses and command the attention of multiple defenders.

Lately, the Bruins have had success scoring goals by using the wings and crossing the ball into the box, looking for Fishel or Turner to latch onto it or for a trailing midfielder to clean up the scraps.

The past few matchups against USC have provided plenty of memorable moments, and Friday’s bout for the Pac-12 title will be no different.

Diego Farinha | Sports staff
Farinha is currently a Sports staffer on the softball beat. He was previously a reporter on the women's soccer beat.