USAC recap – Oct. 26

By Sydney Kovach, Liv Stokes, and Clara Schwartz

The Undergraduate Students Association Council approved a resolution to acknowledge ADHD Awareness Month and appointed five undergraduate students to four committees.

Special Presentations:

• The Afrikan Student Union gave a presentation on the history of the ASU at UCLA and its upcoming events. These events included admit weekend, Black Bruin Transfer Experience, the Higher Education Conference, the Black and White Ball, Afrograd, Black Bruin Welcome Week, John Huggins and Bunchy Carter Memorial, General Body Meetings, Fried Chicken Fridays and Black Wednesday. Samone Anderson, the ASU chairperson, asked for the council’s support in holding the UCLA Community Programs Office accountable because she said the CPO has become a toxic environment for student leaders.
  • The Coro Foundation presented on a nine-month fellowship program that gives postgraduates the opportunity to gain leadership experience in public affairs.

Allocations:

• The council allocated $11,492.56 from the Contingency Programming fund for 19 non-USAC entities for fairs, retreats and socials.
  • The council allocated $6,299.79 to the Supplemental Fund for Service to six Community Service Commission groups and one non-CSC group.
  • The council allocated a total of $282 from the Student Wellness Programming Fund to two non-SWC groups.
  • The council allocated $2,747.37 from Bruin Advocacy Grant Allocations to two non-USAC entities.
  • The council allocated $29,571.70 from the Green Initiative Fund to five non-USAC entities.
  • The council allocated $200 to Students for Community Outreach, Promotion and Education, a child and family resource center, for its All Brains Website.
  • The council allocated $1,355.05 to Vietnamese Community Health at UCLA, a student organization that works to improve the health needs of at-risk, low-income communities in Southern California, for its Fall Health Fair.
  • The council allocated $100 to Cadenza A Cappella, a female a cappella group, for its Cadenza photoshoot and $91.33 for its Cadenza dinner.
  • The council allocated $352.59 to Hermanas Unidas de UCLA, a Chicana/Latina academic, community service and social organization, for its general body fall retreat.
  • The council allocated $517.33 to Asian Pacific Coalition, an advocacy group for Asian/Pacific/Islander/Desi/American student groups, for its internship social.
  • The council allocated $716.67 to UConsulting, a student consulting organization, for its fall retreat.
  • The council allocated $455.14 to Taiwanese American Student Association for a TASA and Japanese Student Association collaboration.
  • The council allocated $4,916.67 to Bruin Film Society for the “On Golden Pond Screening” and $566.67 for its “Beta Test” screening.
  • The council allocated $290 to Spoon UCLA, a food publication, for restaurant media marketing and photography.
  • The council allocated $201.79 to Medicine and Art, an organization that strives to show the importance of creativity and interdisciplinary skills in healthcare and science, technology, engineering and math, for Children First Early Head Start.
  • The council allocated $236.67 to Bruin Value Investing, a student managed investment fund, for its Bruin Value Investing info session.
  • The council allocated $375 to Delta Epsilon Mu, Chi Chapter at UCLA, a pre-health coed fraternity, for its recurring general meetings.
  • The council allocated $1,033.33 to Kappa Alpha Pi, a pre-law coed fraternity, for its formal.
  • The council allocated $200 to the Burmese Student Association for the Myanmar Struggle For Democracy.
  • The council allocated $770.33 to Liberty in North Korea at UCLA, an organization committed to securing human rights and freedom for North Korean defectors, for Digging the Roots of North Korea.
  • The council allocated $1,353 to Hui O ‘Imiloa, a student group that celebrates Hawaiian history and culture, for its general meetings.
  • The council allocated $375 to Circle K, a student-led service, leadership and fellowship organization, for its general meetings.
  • The council allocated $736 to UCLA UniCamp, a non-profit that connects UCLA with the community, for its leadership team retreat.
  • The council allocated $650 to Latin Business Student Association for the LBSA board fall retreat.

Resolution:

• The council approved a resolution to acknowledge ADHD awareness month, and recognized the importance of organizations such as All Brains and the Disabled Students Union in advocating for people with ADHD and other disabilities. The resolution also acknowledges that students with ADHD often lack sufficient academic support and accommodations from their institutions.

Appointments:

• The council appointed Stella Du, a first-year biology student, to the Faculty Welfare Committee. Du said she hopes to promote student needs and the welfare of minorities and transfer students in her new role.
  • The council appointed Kayla Regalado, a fourth-year transfer sociology student, to the Continuing and Community Education Committee. Regalado said she plans to be a liaison between the Committee and the Academic Senate.
  • The council appointed Hannah Daggy, a third-year anthropology and global studies student, to the CS Mini Fund Committee. Daggy said she hopes to improve the accessibility of the fund and support underrepresented groups in her new role.
  • The council appointed Mary Bernadett, a third-year psychology student, to the CS Mini Fund Committee. Bernadett said that one of her priorities is making the application process for funding very clear.
  • The council appointed Maya Desai, a fourth-year public affairs student, to the Transportation Services Advisory Board.

Reports:

• President Breeze Velazquez said her office met with the COVID-19 Response and Recovery Task Force to discuss what university services will be available for students over Thanksgiving break. She said the Arthur Ashe Student Health and Wellness Center will not be open to students over the break. She also said she met with UCLA Police Chief’s Advisory Council to discuss the UC Community Safety Plan, which includes campus safety guidelines and alternative mental health crisis responses. She added that she will meet with the Cops Off Campus Coalition and will partner with ASU to address concerns about police presence on campus. She also added that she met with UC President Michael Drake and his staff at UCOP to discuss COVID-19 concerns, staff shortages and the cost of on-campus housing. She said she met with the Wellbeing Taskforce to discuss expanding therapy assistance online and addressing the issue of students not continuing their care with Counseling and Psychological Services.
  • Internal Vice President Cassandra Gatica said her office launched a crowdfunding campaign for the housing relief initiative, which aims to help financially disadvantaged students afford housing. Her office has raised $400 out of its $5,000 goal. She added that she is planning destressing events throughout midterms. She also said she met with Student Legal Services to follow up on a student worker rights training. She added that she collaborated with Academic Affairs Commissioner Angelina Quint on a resolution about ADHD awareness. She said her office is also working to support the Filipinx American History Month initiatives.
  • External Vice President Sarah Wang said her office’s internal advocacy teams funded two organizations and her civic engagement team is working to publish news in digestible forms on social media. She added that the external advocacy team is hosting lobbying meetings throughout November on topics like Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program and other nutritional aid bills and continuing to work with UCSA on its Double the Pell Campaign. She also said her office is meeting with Sarah Dundish, the UCLA housing director, to discuss Senate Bill 169, which funded one-time grants for the construction of student housing and renovation of commercial properties to provide affordable student housing.
  • General Representative 1 Hailey Valles said in a written report that her office is creating a video series on navigating MyUCLA for its Decoding Academia initiative.
  • General Representative 2 Passa Pungchai said in a written report that her office is working on the Boelter Hall Braille Project and is looking at which rooms need signs. She added that her office has taken inventory of rooms on floors one through six on Boelter Hall.
  • General Representative 3 Carl King said in a written report that his office postponed the tax workshop due to a lack of teachers. He added that he spoke with ASU about collaborating on a financial wellness class.
  • Facilities Commissioner Jane Ni said in a written report that her office scheduled a meeting with Facilities Commission and the Office of Sustainability to run a supply giveaway to promote reusing hardware supplies. She added that she also planned to meet with the Center for Accessible Education to discuss issues of accessibility on campus.
  • Financial Supports Commissioner Emily Yu said in a written statement that her office conducted Budget Review Committee meetings for the Associated Students UCLA board of directors. She added that she is working to incorporate the maintenance of USAC Expenditure Viewer, an analysis of how USAC spends its budget. She also said that she met with the FSC Funding Initiatives Committee to write a proposal for an Academic Materials Reimbursement Fund.
  • Quint said her office attended a learning management systems meeting last week to discuss UCLA’s transition to Canvas, a learning management system. She added that she met with the DSU to discuss concerns about in-person learning for winter and spring quarters. She also said that her office is working with students from the DSU to implement an American Sign Language major and minor at UCLA. She added that she helped facilitate the first Student Advocate Board training.
Sydney Kovach | Alumnus
Kovach was the 2021-2022 assistant News editor for the campus politics beat. She was previously a contributor for The Stack. Kovach was a fourth-year global studies student at UCLA.