Water polo coach, Olympian Adam Wright inducted into UCLA Athletic Hall of Fame

UCLA men’s and women’s water polo coach Adam Wright was inducted into the 2020 UCLA Athletic Hall of Fame after winning two championships with the Bruins as a player and four as a coach. (David Rimer/Assistant Photo editor)

By Kyle Boal

Just east of Pauley Pavilion and west of Ackerman Union, Adam Wright’s name is forever enshrined in the J.D. Morgan Center – home of the UCLA Athletic Hall of Fame.

Wright – coach of both UCLA men’s and women’s water polo – was one of nine members inducted into the 2020 UCLA Athletic Hall of Fame class alongside Lauren Cheney, Keira Goerl, Kevin Love, Mike Powell, Noelle Quinn, Dave Roberts, Tasha Schwikert and Russell Westbrook. The group was inducted Friday and recognized at halftime during UCLA’s football game against Oregon on Saturday.

Wright is the 18th member of the UCLA Athletic Hall of Fame affiliated with UCLA water polo, holding over a .700 winning percentage in his playing career with the Bruins spanning from 1997-2000, four years as head coach of the women’s team and 12 years as a head coach for the men’s side.

Wright said he recalled admiring the UCLA greats that came before him as a student on campus.

“I used to walk around in the Hall of Fame on campus when I was a student athlete, just looking at the photos and names,” Wright said. “For me, this is the greatest honor. UCLA has done so much for me and my family, and my hope is that we can return the favor and keep doing great things here.”

A four-time Association of Collegiate Water Polo Coaches National Coach of the Year and responsible for the university’s most recent national championship, Wright has won four national championships as the men’s head coach. He led the program to an NCAA record 57 straight wins between 2014 and 2016.

Men’s senior attacker/utility Jake Cavano, an All-American in all three of his seasons in Westwood, said Wright has always been a top-tier coach, even before earning UCLA Athletic Hall of Fame recognition.

“I don’t think that changes anything from the guy he is,” Cavano said. “It’s good that he’s getting recognition, but he’s always always been (a great coach) before he was inducted. … It’s definitely very meaningful to play for someone like that.”

Under Wright’s leadership, the Bruins have had 66 All-Americans, four Olympians and the second and third Peter J. Cutino Award winners on the men’s side in school history. Wright is also responsible for leading his men’s team to three perfect Academic Progress Rates.

Men’s graduate student attacker Chasen Travisano, a three-time Mountain Pacific Sports Federation All-Academic Team awardee, said Wright’s role in his life as a student-athlete goes beyond just coaching.

“He’s not only our coach – for me, he’s a mentor, somebody I look up to every single day,” Travisano said. “He means the world to this team, to this culture. He’s worked so many hours his whole life as a player and as a coach and to see it pay off and to be in the Hall of Fame – there’s nobody more well deserving than he is.”

As a player, Wright was a three-time All-American and two-time national champion. Outside of his Bruin career, he competed in three Olympic Games, earning Team USA’s most recent men’s water polo medal – a silver medal at the 2008 Beijing Olympics.

Joined by his kids and nephews at the induction ceremony, Wright said he hopes he serves as an inspiration for aspiring athletes.

“My hope is it’s something that they’ll remember forever,” Wright said. “For any kid that’s thinking about sport, it’s all about the work. I was a normal kid. Not the fastest, not the strongest, but (I) had goals and got into a place like UCLA, which set me up to do really some special things. For my kids and my nephews to be out there on the field – it’s inspiring.”

Despite being a member of the USA Water Polo Hall of Fame with numerous national championships to his name, Wright said his induction into the UCLA Athletic Hall of Fame means more than any honor he’s ever achieved.

“For me, this is the pinnacle,” Wright said. “UCLA – I don’t think you need to say much more. We have people that have broken records, barriers and changed sport forever. It’s beyond an honor, beyond my wildest dreams to be in that class.”

Kyle Boal | Sports senior staff
Boal is currently a Sports senior staff writer on the women's water polo beat. He was an assistant Sports editor on the gymnastics, rowing, swim and dive, men's water polo and women's water polo beats. Boal was previously a contributor on the men's water polo and women's water polo beats.