Tyger Campbell goes ham with name, image and likeness policy in restaurant deals

No. 2 UCLA men’s basketball redshirt junior guard Tyger Campbell recently partnered with Fat Sal’s Deli to create the “Fat Tyger,” a custom sandwich co-created by Campbell. (Daily Bruin file photo and courtesy of Francis Moon. Photo illustration by Ashley Kenney/Photo editor)

By Jon Christon

This post was updated Oct. 27 at 10:19 p.m.

When the NCAA name, image and likeness policies changed over the summer, many collegiate athletes jumped at the opportunity.

Some were the beneficiaries of bulk deals initiated by their schools. Others became attached to agencies to help promote their images. A few even signed six-figure deals with some of the world’s biggest brands.

Tyger Campbell, on the other hand, got a sandwich named after him.

Ahead of No. 2 UCLA men’s basketball’s practice Monday, coach Mick Cronin and multiple players spoke to the media, and one topic of conversation was Campbell’s new deal with Fat Sal’s Deli, a sandwich shop in Westwood. The redshirt junior guard’s custom sandwich, the “Fat Tyger,” made its debut on the Fat Sal’s menu Oct. 15.

Campbell said the sandwich is a combination of his favorite ingredients.

“I worked together with them,” Campbell said. “They took some of my ideas – food that I like – and kind of combined them into one big sandwich.”

According to Campbell’s Instagram post announcing the sponsorship, the Fat Tyger has ham, chicken fingers, mozzarella sticks, Swiss cheese, french fries and honey mustard sauce stuffed in between two slices of bread.

Despite the long list of ingredients, Cronin said the sandwich is still missing one thing.

“The Fat Tyger probably should be trailed by the ambulance or at least the number to the cardiologist,” Cronin said.

But while Cronin hasn’t tried the sandwich himself – as he said he doesn’t want to become a “fat coach” – Campbell’s teammates tell a different story.

Freshman guard/forward Peyton Watson said he’s already had a few Fat Tyger sandwiches, which he said he has loved every time. He added that the sandwich has been a part of his offseason diet, an eating regimen that has helped him go from 193 pounds to 210 pounds.

“I’ve put on a lot of weight (and) it’s really helping me – my movement has got even better and my balance is better,” Watson said. “I’ve just been attesting that to my diet, really staying committed in the weight room and just trying to really lock in before season gets here, so that way I’m really physically ready (for) what’s going to come.”

Like Campbell, Watson also has name, image and likeness aspirations but said he has been waiting to get on the court before he signs any sandwich-based sponsorships.

“​​I’m trying to just really hear from everybody,” Watson said. “I want to build my brand on the court first before I start going out into other things. I want to build a brand that I’m a really serious ballplayer, and then everything else will come.”

Aside from the deal with Fat Sal’s, Campbell does have one other food-related sponsorship – a partnership with the plant-based Honeybee Burger.

Campbell said the contrast between the vegan burger shop and the decidedly nonvegan Fat Tyger sandwich represents his varying interests in the new NCAA landscape.

“(Honeybee Burger wants) to make food that caters to people that still like eating regular food and just like the taste of vegan food,” Campbell said. “I like the taste of the food that they have there. … I just thought it would be cool to work with them.”

With less than a month until the new season starts, however, Campbell said his focus has shifted away from his sponsorships and back onto the court.

When asked how many Fat Tygers he has eaten, the guard said only enough to keep him in shape for the upcoming campaign.

“Not too many,” Campbell said. “Enough for me to still maintain my same body weight and work hard on the court.”

Jon Christon | Sports senior staff
Christon is currently a Sports senior staff writer. He was previously the Sports editor on the men's basketball and football beats and the assistant Sports editor on the women's basketball, softball, men's tennis and women's tennis beats. Christon was previously a contributor on the women's basketball and softball beats.