Daily Bruin receives national recognition with nine Pinnacle Awards

The Daily Bruin received several awards and honorable mentions for its coverage in 2020-2021, including first place awards for best editorial, best online sports section, best breaking news photo and best newspaper feature page/spread. (Ashley Kenney/Photo editor)

By Anushka Chakrabarti

The Daily Bruin received nine 2020-2021 Pinnacle Awards and five honorable mentions from the College Media Association Saturday.

The awards were announced at the virtual Fall National College Media Convention and evaluated submissions from the 2020-2021 school year.

The Bruin won first place in four sections for the best editorial, best online sports section, best breaking news photo and best newspaper feature/spread. The Bruin also received second place for best magazine contents page/spread and third place for best breaking news story, best newspaper entertainment page/spread, four-year website of the year and four-year best college media outlet of the year.

The Pinnacle Awards annually honor the best college media organizations and individual works to recognize notable student-produced college media.

Last year the Bruin received two honorable mentions and won a Pinnacle Award in seven sections, including top daily four-year college newspaper.

List of 2020-2021 Pinnacle Awards won by The Bruin:

• First Place, Best Editorial 
  • First Place, Best Online Sports Section
  • First Place, Best Breaking News Photo
  • First Place, Best Newspaper Feature Page/Spread
  • Second Place, Best Magazine Contents Page/Spread 
  • Third Place, Best Breaking News Story  
  • Third Place, Best Newspaper Entertainment Page/Spread    
  • Third Place, Four-Year Website of the Year
  • Third Place, Four-Year Best College Media Outlet of the Year
  • Honorable Mention, Arts and Entertainment Story   
  • Honorable Mention, Best Sports Section
  • Honorable Mention, Best Sports Feature Photo
  • Honorable Mention, Best Newspaper Nameplate  
  • Honorable Mention, Best Infographic  

Anushka Chakrabarti | News editor
Chakrabarti is currently the 2021-2022 News editor. She was previously the 2020-2021 assistant News editor for the science and health beat, and she was a former contributor for online. She is also a third-year mathematics and economics student at UCLA.