Sunday, May 5, 2024

Daily Bruin receives two Pacemaker Awards for third consecutive year

For the third year in a row, the Daily Bruin received the Associated Collegiate Press Newspaper and Online Pacemaker Awards. (Ashley Kenney/Photo editor)

By Sydney Kovach and Cecile Wu

For the third consecutive year, the Daily Bruin received both the 2020-2021 Newspaper Pacemaker Award and Online Pacemaker Award from the Associated Collegiate Press on Thursday. 

The ACP announced the awards during the Fall National College Media Convention held virtually on Thursday. Pacemaker Awards are given annually to two-year and four-year colleges and universities. 81 colleges and universities entered the competition for best newspaper, according to the ACP website.

The Daily Bruin earned the Newspaper Pacemaker Award alongside 17 other colleges and universities. Some of the other recipients included the University of Pennsylvania, Indiana University and Michigan State University. The Bruin received the Online Pacemaker Award along with 13 other colleges and universities, including Duke University, Pepperdine University, University of Michigan and University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

This is the eighth Pacemaker Award The Bruin received for top student newspaper.

According to the ACP website, newspapers were not distinguished by frequency of publication for the first time in recent years.

The 2020-2021 Daily Bruin management team consisted of Editor-in-Chief Melissa Morris, Managing Editor Lucy Carroll and Digital Managing Editor Liz Ketcham. The 2020-2021 online editor was Mattie Sanseverino.

Sydney Kovach | Alumnus
Kovach was the 2021-2022 assistant News editor for the campus politics beat. She was previously a contributor for The Stack. Kovach was a fourth-year global studies student at UCLA.
Cecile Wu | Senior staff
Wu was the 2021-2022 managing editor. She was previously the 2020-2021 Quad editor and prior to that, the assistant Quad editor. She is a fourth-year sociology and statistics student at UCLA.