Men’s soccer fails to achieve late-game comeback against Washington

Senior forward Kevin Diaz scored the lone goal for UCLA men’s soccer in a 2-1 loss to Washington, the fourth time in five games he recorded a goal after not registering any shots on goal in the previous five games to start the season. (Finn Chitwood/Daily Bruin)

Men's soccer

No. 2 Washington2

By Lexi Grimes

The Bruins fell just short of handing the Huskies their first loss of the season.

No. 23 UCLA men’s soccer (6-4, 2-2 Pac-12) suffered a 2-1 loss in Seattle to No. 2 Washington (9-0, 2-0) on Sunday, its second straight loss after losing 4-3 to Oregon State on Thursday.

Washington committed three fouls within the first seven minutes of the game but tallied nine shots during the first half. On the other hand, the Bruins recorded six fouls against the Huskies in the first half but were only able to get off three shots. Neither team was able to score in the first 45 minutes of the game.

Coach Ryan Jorden said he was not concerned about the number of shots taken, citing differences in playing style as the reason for the low numbers.

“Washington has a different style of play than us, they shoot as often as possible,” Jorden said. “We will pass it more across the box and try and increase our percentage of shots that are successful. So (number of shots) doesn’t matter. It’s a number on a piece of paper.”

The Bruins had an opportunity to score early in the second half of the game with a shot by junior defender Constantinos Michaelides just 29 seconds in the frame. In the 59th minute, the Huskies were able to find the back of the net, but the goal was ultimately negated by an offsides call.

The first official goal came in the 80th minute of play. Redshirt freshman forward Jose Contell collided with Washington goalkeeper Sam Fowler, and senior forward Kevin Diaz was able to follow through for his fourth goal in the last five games.

“We knew that their goalie wasn’t really good with his feet,” Diaz said. “So Jose put pressure on him, and then after the shot, I was just where I was supposed to be.”

However, the Bruins’ lead did not last long. In the 84th minute, a set piece allowed the Huskies to tie the score at one apiece.

Less than a minute later, another shot from Washington found the upper right corner of the net, giving it another goal and the lead. UCLA was unable to score in the remaining five minutes, conceding a late-game comeback for the second game in a row.

This game marked Washington’s sixth win in a row against UCLA, with the Bruins last beating the Huskies in 2018. The lone goal for UCLA on Sunday marked just the third score for the team in its last three matchups in Seattle.

Despite the loss, senior goalkeeper Justin Garces recorded seven saves against the Huskies, five of which came in the first half. His previous season high was four, set in the game against Oregon State on Thursday.

Jorden said he believes the team is still improving and will return to Wallis Annenberg Stadium better than when they left for their two-game road trip.

“We went on the road and played two really tough teams,” Jorden said. “Today we played 90 minutes of great soccer, and (Washington) just got lucky at the right times.”

Lexi Grimes | Sports reporter
Grimes is currently a Sports reporter on the men's soccer beat. She was previously a contributor on the beach volleyball, men's soccer and women's volleyball beats.