Friday, Jan. 28, 2022

Tracking COVID-19 at UCLASundance 2022

Court judge rejects Under Armour’s request to dismiss UCLA lawsuit

Under Armour’s attempts at dismissing UCLA’s lawsuit were rejected Thursday by a Los Angeles Superior Court judge. The Bruins wore Under Armour from 2017 through 2021 before being replaced by the Jordan Brand and its parent company Nike in July. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Jon Christon

Correction: The original version of this article misnamed the Los Angeles Superior Court as the Santa Monica Superior Court.

This post was updated Aug. 30 at 1:27 a.m.

After a long-litigated process, the Bruins will finally meet Under Armour in court.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge H. Jay Ford III denied Under Armour’s attempts at dismissing a UCLA-filed lawsuit, giving the company 20 business days to respond to the decision. The news was initially reported by the Los Angeles Times and later confirmed by UCLA.

The school sued its former apparel sponsor exactly a year ago on Aug. 26, 2020, seeking more than $200 million in damages from when the company backed out of its record-setting agreement in June 2020 with 12 years left in the contract. UCLA stated Under Armour had no legal claim to prematurely terminating the partnership.

Under Armour declined a request for comments Thursday. 

UCLA released a statement Thursday morning, claiming victory for the school and for the legal system.

“The story of Under Armour’s corporate shenanigans and broken promises that left our student-athletes and the Bruin community out to dry is one that deserves to be told,” said Vice Chancellor of Strategic Communications Mary Osako. “We’re gratified that the court cleared the way for the case to proceed.”

Under Armour reneged on its 15-year, $280 million contract with UCLA in June 2020, claiming it did not receive the “marketing benefits” amid the pandemic that the sides had agreed upon when they first signed the deal in 2016.

In December 2020, Jordan Brand and its parent company Nike agreed to take Under Armour’s place as UCLA’s apparel sponsor, officially taking over in July 2021. 

The next court date between UCLA and Under Armour will take place Sept. 23, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Jon Christon | Sports editor
Christon is currently the Sports editor and a reporter on the men's basketball and football beats. He was previously an assistant Sports editor on the women's basketball, softball, men's tennis and women's tennis beats and a reporter on the women's basketball and softball beats.
Help Wanted

Marketing intern wanted (paid)
Must be a senior majoring in marketing or similar (or a graduate student in a similar field)
Looking for someone to generate and execute a marketing plan to promote a mental health practice and new annex via both social media and traditional PR outlets
Position will pay $25/hour and intern will keep track of hours and submit a timesheet for payment
Contact David Buik @ [email protected]