Attacking trio leads women’s soccer to score three goals each in starting games

In her last season with UCLA women’s soccer before beginning her professional career, junior forward Mia Fishel has scored two goals in the Bruins’ first two games. (Christine Kao/Daily Bruin staff)

By Diego Farinha

The Bruins are the only team in the Pac-12 to score three or more goals in their first two contests.

No. 4 UCLA women’s soccer (2-0) opened its season with three goals in each of its first two matches as it triumphed 3-1 over UC Irvine and held Cal State Fullerton scoreless in a 3-0 win. Five of the six goals were scored by three players – senior midfielder Maricarmen Reyes, junior forward Mia Fishel and sophomore forward Reilyn Turner.

Last season, Fishel and Turner alone were responsible for 17 of the team’s 36 scores. So far this campaign, the duo has already been on the scoresheet a combined three times, while Reyes has scored a goal in each of the opening two games.

Because of injury, the midfielder only appeared in 16 games in the previous two seasons. In 2019, however, Reyes scored three goals and provided three assists – good for seventh in points on the team, despite playing a fraction of the minutes of the team’s top scorers.

In her first starts since 2018, the Santa Ana native scored in the third minute against the Anteaters on Thursday and in the 11th minute three days later against the Titans, paving the way for two Bruin victories.

Reyes said getting wins while acclimating to the team’s new playing style and new faces is encouraging.

“We’re playing a new way with the freshmen, and they’re all getting used to playing with us,” said Reyes. “It’s super exciting to get these wins and get back into the season.”

Coach Amanda Cromwell said she is not surprised by Reyes’ early success finding the net and enjoyed the offensive display from her attack over the weekend.

“(Reyes) is a goal scorer,” Cromwell said. “Not many people know that because she’s more of a midfielder, but she can finish. Her and Mia getting goals again (Sunday), it was a great opening weekend for them, and (Turner) was super dangerous.”

Against UC Irvine and Fullerton, UCLA deployed a front three of sophomore forward Kaila Novak, Fishel and Turner, with Reyes playing in an attacking midfielder role.

Fishel said the versatility of each player and the attack as a whole makes the team hard to scout and defend.

“We’re all different,” Fishel said. “You can scout many teams because they usually have the same attack, the same players (and) do the same things. With our frontline especially, we all have different strengths. I’m a little bit more technical. Reilyn is ruthless. She’s ruthless in the box – fights for every ball. Kaila is a specialty with her left-footed swingers into the box. We can switch up our attack all the time, so it’s hard for teams to scout.”

In addition to the attack provided by the offensive players, multiple defenders provided service to put the attackers in goal-scoring situations. Freshman defender Lilly Reale frequently sent in long balls from her center-back position to Fishel and Turner, while redshirt junior midfielder Madelyn Desiano provided three assists from left back, earning her Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Week honors.

“Our attack is very fast,” Fishel said. “(Our defenders) know that me, Reilyn and Kaila are very fast up top, so they’re looking over the defensive line to get us in because we’ve been asking for it.”

Before the season kicked off Thursday, Fishel announced via social media this season would be her last donning the blue and gold, forgoing her senior season to play professionally.

The All-American said she’s excited for her last dance in Westwood and is happy with the start her squad has gotten off to.

“This team is so special,” Fishel said. “I know they played a huge role in my development, being a step to go pro. This is my last season with them, and I just want to make it count – every single game. I’m just excited to keep this momentum going.”

Diego Farinha | Sports staff
Farinha is currently a Sports staffer on the softball beat. He was previously a reporter on the women's soccer beat.