Football suspends senior wide receiver over charges of sexual battery

UCLA football senior wide receiver Delon Hurt was suspended from the team, UCLA Athletics confirmed Tuesday, following sexual assault allegations from a 2019 incident. (Esther Ma/Daily Bruin)

By Olivia Simons

This post was updated Aug. 22 at 10:40 p.m.

Senior wide receiver Delon Hurt has been suspended from UCLA football following charges of sexual battery in an alleged November 2019 incident, UCLA Athletics confirmed Tuesday.

Hurt’s suspension is subject to the outcome of legal proceedings that are projected to continue through the beginning of 2022, meaning Hurt will likely miss the entirety of the 2021 football season, which begins Saturday. 

After appearing at the Norwalk Courthouse as part of a procedural hearing Thursday morning, it was determined the next court date will take place Oct. 19 with a preliminary hearing expected in November, according to Hurt’s defense attorney Joshua Ritter via the Los Angeles Times. 

In May, Hurt pleaded not guilty to both charges made against him by the Los Angeles district attorney’s office, including oral copulation and sexual battery.

“We take such allegations very seriously,” said UCLA Athletics spokesperson Scott Markley in a statement. “As such, Delon has been suspended from the team pending the outcome of legal proceedings.” 

Should Hurt be found guilty of the charges, he could face up to 12 years in prison.

The wide receiver caught nine balls for 127 yards in three years and 26 total games so far with the Bruins, making his first start in his junior season. Hurt served as a reserve receiver, was on special teams in his first two seasons and has four career tackles.

Olivia Simons | Quad editor
Simons is the 2023-2024 Quad editor. She was previously the 2022-2023 managing editor, an assistant Sports editor on the baseball, women's tennis, men's tennis, swim and dive and rowing beats and a reporter on the baseball and women's tennis beats. She is also a fourth-year student from Oakland, California.