Saturday, July 31, 2021

Tracking COVID-19 at UCLABruins at the Olympics

James Heaps’ lawyers file motion to dismiss indictment for felony sexual assault

Former UCLA OB-GYN James Heaps’ lawyers filed a court motion Thursday to dismiss his indictment in late May. Heaps is accused by hundreds of women of sexual assault and misconduct, including 21 counts of felony sexual assault. (Antonio Martinez/Daily Bruin)

By Justin Jung

Lawyers representing former UCLA OB-GYN James Heaps on sexual assault charges filed a court motion Thursday to dismiss Heaps’s indictment.

Heaps is accused by hundreds of women of sexual misconduct and assault while working as a gynecologist at UCLA and was indicted in late May on 21 counts of felony sexual assault.

[Related: Former UCLA Health OB-GYN James Heaps indicted on sexual misconduct charges]

Heaps was a faculty member at the David Geffen School of Medicine and an OB-GYN at UCLA Health until 2018.

If convicted, Heaps may face more than 91 years in prison.

Leonard Levine, a lawyer representing Heaps, said he filed a Penal Code 995 motion to dismiss Heaps’ indictment.

If Levine’s motion is granted, it would dismiss Heaps’ indictment on the grounds that prosecutors failed to produce sufficient evidence to indict Heaps, said Darren Kavinoky, a lawyer co-representing more than 300 of Heaps’ accusers.

Heaps also declined to waive his legal right to a speedy trial within 60 days, meaning that he will likely stand trial in September, Kavinoky added.

Heaps will next appear in court Aug. 13 for a pretrial conference to discuss the PC 995 motion at the Clara Shortridge Foltz Criminal Justice Center.

Justin Jung | City and crime editor
Jung is the 2021-2022 assistant News editor for the city and crime beat and was previously the assistant Enterprise editor. He is also a photographer and Copy contributor for the Daily Bruin. Jung is a third-year global studies and geography student.

2250 S. Beverly Glen Blvd: 1+1 & 2+2 apts available! Central A/C, private balcony, dishwasher, on-site laundry & parking. Spacious, bright & recently remodeled. Call/text 424-209-8450