North Westwood Neighborhood Council recap – June 2

By Justin Jung

The North Westwood Neighborhood Council is the official neighborhood council representing Westwood Village and UCLA to the Los Angeles City Council. Council meetings are held each month and open to the public via Zoom. The next meeting will be held virtually July 7.

Comments by public officials:

• Carmen Healey, a UCLA Government and Community Relations representative, said commencement celebrations will start June 10 and graduating students may invite two guests each. Healey added that the annual Undie Run, which is not sponsored by the university, will be held June 9. Healey also said that university housing plans have not yet been finalized because LA County has not yet given full clearance to reopen.

There were no board announcements.

Public comment:

• An anonymous individual with the Zoom name “-PUPPET” sarcastically said that it was good for the council to limit individuals’ public comments to up to three minutes.
  • Steve Sann said public comments should be held before the council takes votes so that members of the public can voice their concerns before important decisions are made. He added that the council amended its June 2 meeting agenda to take votes on appointments before public comment period, potentially limiting public comments about the appointment applicants.
  • Philip Gabriel, a member of the public who was not appointed to a council position, said he would file a grievance with the city of LA against the council’s appointments process Wednesday.

Appointments:

• Ernesto Arciniega, the graduate student member, was appointed the co-chair of the Budget and Finance Committee.
  • Nuha Khalfay, a general resident stakeholder, was appointed the co-chair of the Budget and Finance Committee.
  • Peter Clinco, an organizational stakeholder, was appointed as a co-chair of the Planning and Land Use Committee.
  • Sachi Cooper, the undergraduate student member, was appointed as a co-chair of the Planning and Land Use Committee.
  • Josh Trifunovic, the business stakeholder, was appointed the chair of the Outreach and Communications Committee.
  • Evan Farrar, an organizational stakeholder, was appointed the chair of the Transportation and Safety Committee.
  • Flint Dile, the homeowner stakeholder, was appointed the chair of the Elections Committee.
  • Andrew Lewis, a general resident stakeholder, was appointed a co-chair of the Homelessness and Community Health Committee.
  • Khalfay was appointed the co-chair of the Homelessness and Community Health Committee.
  • Furkan Yalcin, an at-large stakeholder, was appointed as the chair of the Community Activities and Projects Committee.
  • Rohini Nott, a member of the public and a UCLA medical doctoral student, was appointed as a member of the Homelessness and Community Health Committee.
  • Yalcin, Lewis, Cooper and Farrar were appointed as the designated filers of Community Impact Statements.
  • Lewis was appointed the representative to the Westside Regional Alliance of Councils.
  • Gray was appointed the alternate representative to the Westside Regional Alliance of Councils. Gray was also appointed the representative to the WRAC homelessness committee.

Agenda:

• The council approved the meeting minutes from its May council meeting.
  • The board voted to file a Community Impact Statement supporting an amendment to the Westwood Village Specific Plan, which regulates businesses and projects in Westwood Village. The proposed amendment would change and add definitions to the plan’s text, revise parking rules and implement an administrative clearance process for projects relating to sign use.

–30–

Justin Jung | News senior staff
Jung is a senior staff reporter and a photographer for the Bruin. He was a 2021-2022 assistant News editor for the campus politics and city and crime beats. Jung was also the 2020-2021 assistant Enterprise editor. Jung is a fourth-year global studies student.