UCLA to resume full capacity fan attendance for select outdoor athletic events

Water polo games at Spieker Aquatics Center will be one of several UCLA outdoor athletic events that will be open to full capacity seating next season, according to an announcement from UCLA Athletics on Tuesday. (Ashley Kenney/Photo editor)

By Olivia Simons

After a full year of sports without regular fan attendance, Bruin fans will be back to cheering on their teams.

UCLA Athletics announced Tuesday afternoon that certain outdoor athletic events will be open to full seating capacity for the 2021-22 season, in accordance with California’s updated COVID-19 protocols. Football games played at the Rose Bowl are among those events, as well as women’s soccer games at Wallis Annenberg Stadium and men’s water polo games at Spieker Aquatics Center.

“We are excited to welcome back students, alumni and fans to the Rose Bowl and our other outside sporting events,” said UCLA Athletics Director Martin Jarmond. “Getting the COVID-19 vaccination is strongly encouraged to provide the safest environment for everyone. We will continue to follow local and state health and safety protocols in order to maintain a safe environment for our fans.”

The announcement comes several months after a limited number of fans were permitted to attend certain sporting events in the spring, including UCLA baseball games at Jackie Robinson Stadium and UCLA softball games at Easton Stadium. 

According to the announcement, fans can now purchase tickets for all football games at the Rose Bowl, and mobile ticketing will be used for all home contests. The Bruins’ season kicks off on August 28 with a home opener against Hawai’i. Fans will have six other opportunities throughout the season to watch the blue and gold play in person for the first time since Nov. 30, 2019.

Women’s soccer will host the first UCLA athletics home event of the year, with a game at Wallis Annenberg Stadium set for Aug. 19. Additional schedules for the rest of the season and other teams are set to be released later this year.

Olivia Simons | Quad editor
Simons is the 2023-2024 Quad editor. She was previously the 2022-2023 managing editor, an assistant Sports editor on the baseball, women's tennis, men's tennis, swim and dive and rowing beats and a reporter on the baseball and women's tennis beats. She is also a fourth-year student from Oakland, California.