Damaged fiber-optic cable causes internet outage for Westwood residents

By Justin Jung

This post was updated June 12 at 6:36 p.m.

Wireless internet service in Westwood was affected Saturday after a fiber-optic cable was damaged. 

UCLA Housing’s internet service provider Spectrum announced in an automated message to users that it is working to repair the fiber-optic cable damage, which affected video, internet and phone service.

In the announcement, Spectrum also said it cannot provide an estimated time of completion for repairs.

The Wi-Fi outage affected both private apartments and University Apartments using Spectrum. It also affected some Westwood Village businesses including Starbucks and Meet Fresh.

Between 5:01 a.m. and 1:01 p.m, the hourly number of internet outage reports for Spectrum in Los Angeles rose from 8 to 481, according to Downdetector, an internet outage tracking website.

“Campus IT Services and Housing are aware of the issue and are receiving updates,” said UCLA spokesperson Ricardo Vazquez.

Justin Jung | News senior staff
Jung is a senior staff reporter and a photographer for the Bruin. He was a 2021-2022 assistant News editor for the campus politics and city and crime beats. Jung was also the 2020-2021 assistant Enterprise editor. Jung is a fourth-year global studies student.