Wednesday, June 16, 2021

AdvertiseDonate

Tracking COVID-19 at UCLAViolence in Palestinian Territories and Israel2021 Pride Month

Beach volleyball secures win against Cal Poly in tournament elimination match

Graduate student Jacqueline Quade (pictured) and her partner junior Megan Muret lost against No. 5 seed LMU on court four Friday, but picked up No. 1 seed UCLA beach volleyball’s first point in its 3-0 victory over No. 7 seed Cal Poly. (David Rimer/Daily Bruin staff)

Beach Volleyball

No. 7 seed Cal Poly0
No. 1 seed UCLA3

By Jay Fenn

The Bruins’ quest for a third straight national championship will continue.

Coming off its first loss in the tournament since 2018, No. 1 seed UCLA (30-4, 10-0 Pac-12) defeated No. 7 Cal Poly (24-11) by a score of 3-0 from Gulf Shores, Alabama. The Bruins will now face No. 4 LSU, a team they have defeated twice this year previously. The two-time defending national champions defeated the Tigers in April by scores of 4-1 and 3-2 at Mapes Beach.

After losses to No. 5 seed LMU on courts two and four Friday, the Bruins took an early lead on both courts by scores of 10-5 and 10-4, respectively. Junior Megan Muret and graduate student Jacqueline Quade closed out the first set by a score of 21-16 to take a 1-0 lead. Junior Lea Monkhouse and freshman Devon Newberry followed suit with a first-set victory of their own, defeating the Mustangs’ duo 22-20.

Graduate student Savvy Simo and freshman Lexy Denaburg kept their undefeated streak alive in the tournament with a 23-21 victory in set one. On court two, sophomores Abby Van Winkle and Lindsey Sparks fell behind 15-8, but roared back to win the set 21-19.  

Muret and Quade put UCLA on the board first, with a 21-19 victory in the second set.  Monkhouse and Newberry got their first victory of the tournament with a 21-17 win in the second set, to put the Bruins up 2-0.  

Redshirt freshman Jaden Whitmarsh and sophomore Rileigh Powers finished off the Bruins’ sweep of the first set with a 21-19 victory on court five.  Whitmarsh and Powers went on to win the second set as well by a score of 21-19 to give the Bruins the dual victory by a score of 3-0.

UCLA will face LSU in its second elimination match of the day at 3:30 p.m. PST.

Jay Fenn | Sports reporter
Fenn is currently a Sports reporter on the beach volleyball and men's and women's golf beats.

WESTWOOD VILLAGE 2BR 1 Bath $3,000; Large and extra large 1BR 1 Bath $2,600 and $2,700 (perfect for three people); parking included. Available July 1 OR September 1. Beautifully landscaped courtyard building, laundry room, pool. 691 Levering Avenue leveringheights.com (310) 208-3647