LA County moves toward yellow tier of reopening plan amid declining case rates

Los Angeles County may be able to move into the least restrictive tier of California’s reopening plan in early May. (Kanishka Mehra/Photo editor)

By Anushka Chakrabarti

Los Angeles County could enter the least restrictive tier in California’s reopening plan in the next week, county officials announced Tuesday. 

The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health said in a statement Tuesday that the adjusted COVID-19 case rate in Los Angeles County dropped from 2.7 new cases to 1.9 new cases per 100,000 people. The COVID-19 positivity rate in Los Angeles County also dropped from 1.4% to 1%.  

Counties in the yellow tier – the least restrictive tier in the state’s reopening plan – must maintain fewer than two new daily cases per 100,000 people, maintain a positivity rate of less than 2% and meet other health equity metrics. 

As a result, Los Angeles County may qualify to enter the yellow tier in early May if the county maintains current new case rates and positivity rates for an additional week, according to the LACDPH statement. This comes less than a month after Los Angeles County entered the orange tier.

As of April 27, there are no counties in the purple tier, 13 counties in the red tier, 41 counties in the orange tier and four counties in the yellow tier, according to a statement from the California Department of Public Health. 

The yellow tier is the final stage in the reopening plan. Under the yellow tier, bars could operate at 25% capacity indoors, according to the LACDPH statement. 

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention updated its guidelines on Tuesday, stating that individuals who are fully vaccinated can participate in outdoor activities and recreation without a mask, except in crowded areas. 

The CDPH said in the statement it will review California’s guidance in accordance with CDC guidelines. 

Around 50% of California’s population age 16 or older are fully or partially vaccinated, the statement said. 

UCLA plans to return to in-person instruction in the fall and will likely make the COVID-19 vaccine a requirement. 

Anushka Chakrabarti | News editor
Chakrabarti is currently the 2021-2022 News editor. She was previously the 2020-2021 assistant News editor for the science and health beat, and she was a former contributor for online. She is also a third-year mathematics and economics student at UCLA.