Op-ed: Bruin Republicans should acknowledge harm caused by systemic racism debate event

By Michelle Nwufo, Elisa Rojas Palato, and Jessica Lutz

As the Black Lives Matter movement gained both domestic and global recognition in 2020 after the undue murder of George Floyd, discourse on racial equity has become increasingly apparent. Within the systems of economic development, education, health, criminal justice and further institutions of oppression, we have seen many protests on behalf of racial justice.

These powerful movements have sparked warranted concerns about the national maltreatment of people of color in America’s systems of governance. However, these sentiments, which have outraged the world, are not novel occurrences, and educational institutions are often complicit in a long history of racially charged discrimination.

Though it is important to examine sources of systemic racism and appropriate responses to thoroughly eliminate it, it is also necessary to ensure that individuals impacted most closely by systemic racism are given accommodative spaces to lead these conversations. On Feb. 17, Bruin Republicans, a student-led organization at UCLA, held a virtual event called “Debate: Is America Systemically Racist?” This debate was very harmful to the POC community at UCLA, who have been or currently are negatively impacted by systemic racism. The event was dominated by the voice of one Bruin Republican member arguing against the existence of institutional racism in modern America and led by an organization affiliated with a political party with conservative ideals of racial equity. This set the precedent that people’s lived experiences can be questioned by individuals who may hold racial or class privilege, thereby perpetuating a harmful dynamic between those who have experienced racism and those who have not.

The problematic nature of the event began with the title, which framed systemic racism as a question. In doing so, the Bruin Republicans portrayed systemic racism as a debatable experience in which individuals who may lack personal exposure to racism have formidable space to invalidate its pervasiveness. To be direct, systemic racism does exist, and the significantly profound adverse health effects among marginalized groups are an example of the direct consequence of the intergenerational effects of structural racism.

For this reason, the title of the event devalued the direct experiences of individuals who have overcome brutal forms of racial aggression. So, individuals have a right to question the purpose of holding such an event during Black History Month and whether the impact of the debate on the UCLA community was truly constructive. In retrospect, it becomes clear that the event was inappropriately planned, advertised and executed.

The insensitivity of the Bruin Republicans’ debate was further observed in the event flyer, publicized via social media. The flyer featured a shadowed individual running with an American flag in their hand, as a building burned in the background. Though the intent of using such an image is unknown, it set a polarizing undertone to potential attendees. By using this image to seemingly represent individuals who have protested against systemic racism, the Bruin Republicans homogenized the recent, powerful movements that were done to address racial inequality. If the goal was to encourage constructive debate, then why was a flyer with chaotic and destructive sensationalism used to attract audiences?

As members of UCLA Justice and Equity in Health Initiative, a program created by student allies from diverse health organizations, we stand by members in our community who have been impacted by systemic racism. Organizations, particularly those with varying degrees of power, must always consider the potential impact of their actions on historically marginalized communities. As college students, we are future leaders that will serve communities of great diversity. Our roles may require us to create an inclusive and safe environment, in which we should always present mutual respect for others. Moving forward, we would like for Bruin Republicans to increase their knowledge of communities impacted by their event.

We understand that mistakes often occur and that people who make mistakes should be given the opportunity to learn and grow from them. That being so, we are not requesting to limit the Bruin Republicans’ political free speech. We are asking that they hold themselves accountable for creating an event that had a harmful impact on members of the UCLA community.

We propose that the Bruin Republicans make space for POC communities on their planning committees for events involving matters directly related to POC individuals. The Bruin Republicans should ensure that how they advertise and execute these events is not divisive in nature but instead promotes the participation of diverse voices. These changes are in line with Bruin Republicans’ mission to “promote calm debate on campus and constructive dialogue.” The goal of debates should never be to forcibly persuade but to listen to other perspectives with open-mindedness. This cannot be achieved with a divisive mindset because difficult conversations require an open mind and empathy on all sides. Great intellectual conversations begin with respect for people with different perspectives and life experiences.

Our request for the Bruin Republicans is to provide a public apology. On March 18, our organization sent the Bruin Republicans an email outlining substantive issues with their event. As we await their response, at minimum, we hope they have read our email and will give thought to prioritizing the impact versus the intent of their future events.

To all organizations at UCLA, we wish for this event to inspire a new culture of mutual respect and understanding.

Nwufo is a fourth-year human biology and society student.

Rojas Palato is a fourth-year neuroscience student.

Lutz is a physiological science alumna.

Michelle Nwufo