UCLA men’s soccer posts 1st Pac-12 win of season over No. 9 Oregon State

Sophomore defender Constantinos Michaelides scored his first goal of the season Saturday, which served as the winning score of UCLA men’s soccer’s 2-1 victory over No. 9 Oregon State. (Liz Ketcham/Daily Bruin senior staff)

Men's Soccer

No. 9 Oregon State1
UCLA2

By Rafay Siddiqui

The Bruins broke through in conference play.

UCLA men’s soccer (2-6-2, 1-5-2 Pac-12) defeated No. 9 Oregon State (7-4-0, 4-4-0) by a score of 2-1 at Wallis Annenberg Stadium on Saturday after last beating the visitors in October 2018. With the first Pac-12 victory of the season, the Bruins improved to 29-8-3 against the Beavers since October 2000.

Freshman forward Grayson Doody would help start the scoring by drawing a penalty kick after being dragged from behind while dishing redshirt sophomore midfielder Jose Sosa a pass to the box.

Junior forward Kevin Diaz would then convert the Bruins’ first successful penalty of the season at the 32-minute mark — giving UCLA a 1-0 lead it would hold to halftime.

Sophomore defender Constantinos Michaelides said Diaz’s play has been impactful for the Bruins.

“With Kevin coming in, I think he’s a very good player,” Michaelides said. “He has the skills. He has the intelligence. He has the goal-scoring mentality. As we move on to next year, where we’re going to have a regular season, he’s going to help us score goals.”

The Bruins would score once more at the 63-minute mark with Michaelides’ first goal of the season. The shot attempt came after freshman defender Tommy Silva sent a long ball to sophomore midfielder Riley Ferch — resulting in a 2-on-1 opportunity at the midfield stripe.

Diaz said the other goal scorer of the game provided UCLA with a change-of-pace offensive threat.

“With (Michaelides) down the line, it gives us so much versatility,” Diaz said. “He tires out the opposing team, and he gives us a lot more time on the ball.”

As in three of UCLA’s previous four matchups, the Bruins retained offensive advantages on both shot attempts and corner kicks, but this time had the edge in goals.

Coach Ryan Jorden said offensive control is reflective of the team’s development this season.

“If you go back to the San Diego State game and even the Cal game before that, we’ve dominated chance and possessions,” Jorden said. “With what we did today, we will continue to grow in our ability to create chances and understand how to function together to be successful.”

Within the final 20 minutes, Oregon State would obtain a 4-1 shot advantage, giving the Beavers an opportunity to mount a comeback.

Junior goalkeeper Justin Garces would deny two of these attempts in the 72nd minute. Garces has piled up 30 saves in 10 appearances for the Bruins this season.

The Beavers would find the back of the net only once at the 77-minute mark off a goal by midfielder Gloire Amanda – who ranks first in goals scored in the Pac-12.

UCLA men’s soccer will have a chance to extend its winning streak at No. 4 Washington on Thursday evening.

Rafay Siddiqui | Sports contributor
Siddiqui was a Sports contributor on the men's soccer beat.