UCLA women’s tennis sweeps Washington schools in Pac-12 openers

While competing on court one over the weekend with new partner graduate student Jada Hart, sophomore Abbey Forbes picked up two doubles victories, winning each match 6-2. Forbes also won both of her singles matches in No. 6 UCLA women’s tennis’ victories over No. 47 Washington State and No. 39 Washington. (Alex Driscoll/Daily Bruin staff)

Women's tennis

No. 47 Washington State1
No. 39 Washington1

By Valerie Li

The Bruins opened Pac-12 play with a sweep.

No. 6 UCLA women’s tennis (8-2, 2-0 Pac-12) held off both No. 47 Washington State (6-5, 1-1) and No. 39 Washington (7-3, 0-2) over the weekend in its first matches of conference play by a score of 6-1 in each match.

“It was super fun playing,” said senior Abi Altick. “We were all super pumped to start the actual season.”

On Friday, the Bruins took the lead early on by winning all three doubles matches and clinching the doubles point. UCLA took every singles match except for a third set, 10-point tiebreaker between junior Taylor Johnson and Washington State’s Melisa Ates.

Overall, the Bruins won their first Pac-12 match over the Cougars 6-1. Sophomore Abbey Forbes said it was nice to get a win playing in her first matches in Pullman.

“I’ve never been on this trip before,” Forbes said. “I was really thankful and grateful for the opportunity to come here, play here and have this first experience.”

UCLA started its Sunday match like it did Friday, again winning the doubles point and only dropping one singles match in the third set between senior Vivian Wolff and Sedona Gallagher of Washington. The match was also the first appearance of sophomore Sasha Vagramov on court two.Vagramov won in the third set against Sarah-Maude Fortin.

The blue and gold finished its Pacific Northwest matches with another victory, 6-1. Altick was also able to play a 6-0 set in her singles match.

“That felt good,” Altick said. “It’s always good to stay focused and nice to get a 6-0 win here and there.”

Over the weekend, the Bruins were without the No. 1 doubles team of graduate student Jada Hart and junior Elysia Bolton. Bolton was unable to make the trip because of an injury but is looking to be back soon.

“We needed to rest Bolton,” said coach Stella Sampras Webster. “She’s hopefully going to be back with us soon.”

In order to fill Bolton’s spot, Forbes moved up a court to play on court one with Hart. Winning both doubles matches Friday and Sunday, Forbes said she was excited for the call up to doubles matches and to be able to play next to Hart once again.

“I was just super grateful to play in our doubles lineup,” Forbes said. “I’m honored to be on the doubles court, and playing with Jada is always super fun.”

After coming off the two wins over the weekend, UCLA is still looking toward the Pac-12 championship as its end goal, according to Sampras Webster.

“We’re still looking to improve,” Sampras Webster said. “We want to peak in May so it’s important that we don’t get complacent and make sure we’re still hungry to get better and keep working hard.”

The Bruins will have their next match against a familiar opponent, Pepperdine, on Friday in Malibu.

Valerie Li | Sports contributor
Li is currently a Sports contributor on the women's tennis beat.