Women’s basketball heads into Pac-12 quarterfinals as 3rd seed

Going into her second career Pac-12 tournament, sophomore guard Charisma Osborne is averaging 18.1 points per game on the season, helping No. 9 UCLA women’s basketball earn the third seed in the tournament. (Ashley Kenney/Assistant Photo editor)

Women's Basketball

Pac-12 tournament
Thursday-Sunday.

Mandalay Bay Events Center
Pac-12 Networks/ESPN2

By Juliana Chen

While several regular-season games have been jeopardized because of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Pac-12 tournament is still in full swing.

After securing a victory against rival USC (11-11, 8-10 Pac-12) on Feb. 26, No. 9 UCLA women’s basketball (14-4, 12-4) claimed the No. 3 seed in the Pac-12 tournament. The Bruins have a first-round bye and will suit up in their first matchup in the quarterfinals Thursday against Washington (7-13, 3-13), which is coming off a win against Colorado (10-10, 8-8) in the first round of Pac-12 tournament play.

This will be the second time the Bruins compete against the Huskies this season, and a victory will guarantee a season sweep against Washington. UCLA is looking to advance to the semifinals of the Pac-12 tournament for its sixth-straight season.

Coach Cori Close said she is excited for March Madness, especially because it presents an opportunity for her team to showcase the hard work it has been putting in.

“Everybody knows there is a little different edge to it and a little more intensity going into the postseason, but that’s what we have all been training for,” Close said.

A year ago, the Bruins’ journey was cut short after a semifinal loss to Stanford. However, sophomore guard Charisma Osborne – who achieved the ninth triple-double in program history in the victory over the Trojans on Friday – said she is motivated to come out on top this year.

“Last year we obviously didn’t get the win, but we are really excited to come to the Pac-12 tournament this year and try to win so that we can be the team at the end of the day making confetti angels,” Osborne said.

For senior forward Michaela Onyenwere, who was named a top-five finalist for the Cheryl Miller Award, this will be among her last opportunities to compete in a postseason tournament. Onyenwere most recently scored 30 points after going 6-of-6 from the 3-point line to contribute to UCLA’s team record of 16 triples against USC.

Onyenwere said the key to winning back-to-back games in the tournament is who can execute the scouting report and game plan the best. She also said she is looking forward to competing at the highest level.

“The time during the tournament is so fun – just being able to travel and to play against teams you haven’t seen or played against before,” Onyenwere said. “I am super excited to compete and go as far as we can.”

Onyenwere, who has averaged 18.2 points, and Osborne, who has averaged 18.1 points, are ranked third and fourth, respectively, in scoring in the Pac-12.

Ultimately, Close said she would like to see her team remain consistent and focused throughout the postseason in order to block out any outside distractions.

“Coach (John) Wooden had a phrase that said that if you focus on things that are out of your control, that’ll adversely affect things under your control,” Close said. “I really do think that’s a very important key to being successful in March – is to set your minds on things that are under your control.”

UCLA will head to Las Vegas, Nevada, and is scheduled to take on Washington on Thursday at 8 p.m. at the Mandalay Bay Events Center.

Juliana Chen | Sports contributor
Chen is currently a Sports contributor on the beach volleyball beat. She was previously a contributor on the women's basketball and women's volleyball beats.