Men’s golf tees off for first time in over 11 months, returns to tournament play

Senior Devon Bling and UCLA men’s golf will be hitting the course for the first time in almost a year when they tee off at PGA West in The Prestige. (Courtesy of UCLA Athletics)

By Jay Fenn

The Bruins said they will look to overcome some nerves and rust ahead of their first tournament of the COVID-19-shortened season.

UCLA men’s golf will be competing in The Prestige this week, which boasts a 24-team field, including nine Pac-12 teams. The tournament will run from Monday through Wednesday at PGA West in La Quinta, California.

The tournament will be the Bruins’ first time teeing off in over 11 months, and coach Derek Freeman said they may expect some nervous energy and rust they will need to overcome.

“You got to deal with your nerves and you got to deal with your tournament rust,” Freeman said. “If those guys can get a handle on that early, then I think we are gonna be in really good shape.”

While there may be some nerves present, sophomore Mason Greene noted the players are just excited to get back out on the course, as for many of them it will be their first official tournament in months.

“There is definitely excitement to get back out there,” Greene said. “We are pumped to get back out there and compete as a team again and show what we got.”

Greene will be joined in the starting lineup by senior Devon Bling, freshman Ty Griggs and juniors Ahmed Ali and Bryan Wiyang Teoh.

Even with the COVID-19 pandemic, Bling said he feels like he and the rest of his team are prepared coming into the Monday start to the tournament, and are in a good spot to succeed.

“We have gotten a lot of good work in the last month or two since we have been back,” Bling said. “We have used the time that we’ve had to try to make ourselves better and gives ourselves the best chance to succeed.”

Even with golf being an outdoor sport that can abide by social distancing protocols, the team will see some new changes this tournament. Teams will no longer be allowed to touch or pull the pin. Also, with there being no rakes to use for the bunkers, players will be able to move their balls should they find themselves in a sand trap.

Excluding COVID-19-related challenges Bling said his team may need to adjust to, the Bruins may face some issues with course-related conditions.

“It was a little windy today, but it looks like it is going to clear up tomorrow,” Bling said. “Playing smart golf and finding the fairways is going to be key.”

Despite the potential challenges ahead of UCLA, Freeman said his team will look to keep its game plans straightforward and enjoy its time on the course.

“We just got to keep it very simple,” Freeman said. “Take advantage of the certain holes that we can attack and make some birdies. We have a good game plan. If we do a good job with that and enjoy the moment, they are going to have a great week.”

The Bruins will tee off Monday at Greg Norman Course at 6:45 a.m.

Jay Fenn | Sports staff
Fenn is currently a Sports staffer on the baseball beat. He was previously a reporter on the women's soccer beat and a contributor on the beach volleyball and men's and women's golf beats.