Women’s basketball defeats Washington, ends weekend road series with a win

Freshman forward Emily Bessoir put up 14 points and 5-of-6 shooting from the field in No. 5 UCLA women’s basketball’s win over Washington. Despite fouling out, Bessoir played 18 minutes in the game and added two 3-pointers. (Ashley Kenney/Assistant Photo editor)

Women's Basketball

Washington50

By Juliana Chen

After losing Friday, the Bruins concluded their Washington road trip with a win.

Despite Washington State breaking its five-game winning streak Friday, No. 5 UCLA women’s basketball (11-3, 9-3 Pac-12) bounced back to defeat Washington (1-10, 4-10) 84-50 on Sunday afternoon at the Alaska Airlines Arena.

The Bruins’ 84 points were their most in a game since Jan. 10 and 17 more points than they scored Friday. UCLA did this while making over half of its shots and over 40% from beyond the arc.

Freshman forward Emily Bessoir, who was 5-of-6 from the field and scored 14 points, said her team played more consistently in a motion offense against Washington than in its game against Washington State.

“We were moving without the ball, setting screens with purpose and creating good shots for each other,” Bessoir said. “I think that we didn’t do that well against Washington State and we stepped up today.”

The Bruins led in scoring by sophomore guard Charisma Osborne, who put up 21 points on 6-of-11 shooting while adding seven rebounds and three assists. The game marked Osborne’s seventh straight game eclipsing the 20-point mark.

“My teammates are always setting me up and getting me good shots, so credit to them,” Osborne said.

UCLA is in the middle of a stretch of four away games, and Bessoir said it was more important to secure this victory to maintain rhythm, especially in different environments.

“We have to stay consistent and it is so important to keep preparing,” Bessoir said. “If we go to a higher altitude, we have to get the right nutrition and prepare on and off the court.”

In addition to preparing to take on physical challenges during away games, Bessoir also said it was equally important for her team to improve upon its mental strength after its loss to Washington State but mentioned her team created a plan to move forward and stay consistent.

Osborne said an honest conversation in between games changed her team’s mindset.

“We had a hard conversation before practice yesterday about being able to do our jobs and being consistent and elite basketball players,” Bessoir said. “Everyone took that to heart.”

Osborne also addressed the team’s adaptations in playing conditions with specific health remedies for its games this weekend and next.

“I drink beet juice before games, and I have started to do it before practice,” Osborne explained. “Some of my teammates are also drinking beet smoothies to help with the altitude, and we are continuing to take our vitamins, so hopefully that will help us when we go to Colorado and Utah next week.”

While holding Washington to only 50 points, the Bruins also forced 22 turnovers – the most they have forced in a game this season.

Coach Cori Close also said she thought her team responded well and took the proper steps to achieve more sustained effort and focus on the defensive end, but added her team must continue to improve upon bad habits.

“I don’t think we have been playing as a cohesive effort – that we are all linked together, that we are all connected to the same string and that we all have each other’s back,” Close said. “We can’t rely on any heroics from one person.”

Close added that the competitive environment of the Pac-12 is challenging and that it is critical for her team to learn from each game and make the proper adjustments.

“I think every single win in the Pac-12 is a fight for it,” Close said. “We need to fight for improvement just as much. We got to be honest about what are the gaps in our game, what’s the trajectory, what do we need to be focused on and then being able to execute a game plan.”

UCLA is next scheduled to play Utah on Feb. 12 at 10 a.m. at Jon M. Huntsman Center.

Juliana Chen | Sports contributor
Chen is currently a Sports contributor on the beach volleyball beat. She was previously a contributor on the women's basketball and women's volleyball beats.