UCLA trails Stanford at end of 1st half after quarterback leaves game

Junior quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson left UCLA football’s final game of the season with a possible injury late in the second quarter. Thompson-Robinson had 65 yards passing and 46 yards rushing before exiting the game. (Tanmay Shankar/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Jack Perez

In the final game at the Rose Bowl in 2020, the Bruins lost their starting quarterback and fell behind to their California rival. 

UCLA football (3-3) trails Stanford (3-2) 20-3 at halftime in both teams’ final contest of the season.

Junior quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson left the game in the second quarter after going down injured, and it is currently unknown if he will return.

Before that, he had scrambled for multiple first downs, but he also fumbled on one third down and sacked on another, which forced UCLA to punt each time. He leads the team with nine carries and ranks second in rushing yards with 46.

Stanford scored the first three touchdowns of the game, all coming on the ground within two yards of the endzone. Cardinal quarterback Davis Mills started the game 8-of-8 for 132 yards and ended the first half 12-of-15 for 185 yards.

Redshirt freshman kicker Nicholas Barr-Mira missed his first field goal attempt in 2020, kicking a 31-yarder through the uprights for the Bruins’ only points of the half but later going wide left on one from 37 yards.

UCLA could not get Stanford off the field on third downs often. The Cardinal converted 5-of-6 third-down attempts, with their second coming on 3rd-and-1 and resulting in the first touchdown of the game. The Bruins were 3-of-7 on third downs in the half.

Redshirt senior running back Demetric Felton did not play in the first half. There had been no official word on his not playing, but he had a possible injury concern earlier in the season before touching the ball 26 times against USC last weekend.

Stanford will receive the ball to start the second half.

Jack Perez | Alumnus
Perez was the Sports editor for the 2020-2021 school year. He was previously an assistant Sports editor for the men's volleyball, women's water polo and track and field beats during the 2019-2020 school year and a staff writer on the gymnastics, beach volleyball, women's water polo and men's water polo beats.