Police arrest man suspected of committing 23 sexual batteries in West LA area

Police arrested a man suspected of committing at least 23 sexual batteries in the West Los Angeles and Westwood area since October.

By Bernard Mendez

This post was updated Dec. 16 at 3:48 p.m.

Undercover detectives arrested a man Tuesday who is suspected of committing at least 23 sexual batteries in West LA since October.

Derrick Kim, a 32-year-old LA resident, reportedly operated in the UCLA and Westwood Plaza area, approaching women from the behind and inappropriately touching them before fleeing, according to a Wednesday LAPD press release.

The LAPD Robbery-Homicide Division had been investigating 23 related reports of sexual battery in West LA, which began in October. Undercover LAPD narcotics detectives had been surveilling Kim, who was a suspect, and arrested him Tuesday after seeing him grope a woman, according to the press release.

UCPD detectives helped identify Kim as a suspect, who often wore a hooded sweatshirt and a surgical mask, according to the press release.

Several of the victims are affiliated with UCLA, according to a UCPD press release. Kim is also a UCLA alumnus, according to the UCPD press release. UCPD increased patrols because of the sexual batteries, said UCPD spokesperson Scott Scheffler in an emailed statement.

Kim was charged with sexual battery and is being held on a $575,000 bond.

Bernard Mendez
Mendez was the 2020-2021 News editor. He was previously a staff news reporter for the Science & Health beat and a developer for The Stack. He is also a third-year math student at UCLA.