Five Things: UCLA vs. USC

Junior defensive back Stephan Blaylock watches as USC scores a touchdown en route to a 43-38 victory over UCLA football. The Bruins fell to their crosstown rivals for the second straight year. (Andy Bao/Daily Bruin)

By Jack Perez

UCLA football (3-3) blew an 18-point lead and fell for the second straight year to then-No. 15 rival USC (5-0). Coach Chip Kelly could only watch as the Victory Bell remained cardinal for another year. Here are five key takeaways from the Bruins’ loss against the Trojans.

Defense falters on the biggest stage

After making improvements across the entire unit in 2020, defensive coordinator Jerry Azzinaro’s squad failed to live up to its potential at the most crucial moment.

USC did get 15 of its 43 points off turnovers that resulted in Trojan drives starting in Bruin territory, and UCLA forced two turnovers.

However, when it came down to it, the Bruins could not get off the field enough, allowing the Trojans to convert 11-of-18 third-down attempts. Coming into the game, UCLA’s opponents were just 29-of-74 over five games in the same situations.

The passing defense looked almost nonexistent on many plays, allowing big chunks of yardage. Although it’s not as bad as last season, UCLA is now ranked 87th in passing yards allowed per game.

While it’s always been a work in progress, the defense took a major step back and failed to prevent three fourth-quarter touchdowns, including the final one with just 16 seconds left that sent the Bruins back to Westwood without the Victory Bell.

Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers

(Andy Bao/Daily Bruin)
(Andy Bao/Daily Bruin)

Junior quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson had some eye-popping numbers versus the Trojans – 30-of-36 passing for 364 yards and four touchdowns to go along with 50 rushing yards.

Another part of the box score showed a different story, as he ended the game with two interceptions that led to nine Trojan points. In a five-point loss, it’s an easy thing to point out as a reason for the collapse.

To be fair, Trojan quarterback Kedon Slovis also threw two picks, but he left the Rose Bowl with a win.

Thompson-Robinson threw 12 interceptions last year, so he knew he needed to cut down on the turnovers, but he now has four picks in four starts to go along with a lost fumble. For the second time this year, he committed two turnovers in a one-score loss.

UCLA cannot win games like this. Thompson-Robinson needs to cut down on turnovers, or the Bruins will have the same struggles next year – if he returns.

He was not the only one with a turnover for his team though. Freshman kicker Luke Akers fumbled on a fake punt attempt. Why UCLA was attempting that in the first place while up 11 points is baffling and put USC just 31 yards away from the end zone, where wide receiver Amon-Ra St. Brown scored 10 plays later.

Kelly’s frustration

(Tanmay Shankar/Daily Bruin senior staff)

Kelly had adapted. He moved away from the pro-style offense, opting for a hurry-up playbook that caused teams problems over the past few weeks.

So his continued predictability on third and fourth downs in short-yardage situations is even more confusing.

UCLA had two opportunities in the second half to convert on 4th-and-1 – once in each quarter. On the first, redshirt senior running back Demetric Felton was stuffed around midfield, but the Bruin defense picked off Slovis a few plays later.

The second one was more costly. Down one and driving in USC territory, Kelly decided to run a draw play.

He didn’t go with his first choice running back in Felton, maybe feeling the sting of the earlier missed conversion. He didn’t even go with his second-string in graduate transfer running back Brittain Brown, who has been utilized as the power back.

Instead, he went with redshirt freshman running back Keegan Jones, who came into the game with 10 carries this season. The Bruins were stuffed again and lost out on a chance to put points on the board.

Kelly’s refusal to adapt caused problems for the team the past two years, and it might have cost them a chance to upset its biggest rival Saturday.

Dulcich continues special year

(Andy Bao/Daily Bruin)
(Andy Bao/Daily Bruin)

Redshirt sophomore tight end Greg Dulcich is admirably carrying on the legacy of top tight end talent at UCLA.

The Bruins had a tight end selected in each of the last two NFL Drafts, which made it fair to wonder how Dulcich would do, given he only had eight catches in all of 2019.

All he’s done is become one of the top receivers in the conference, currently ranking first in receiving yards, tied for second in receiving touchdowns, third in yards per reception and sixth in catches.

Dulcich has at least one reception of at least 40 yards in half of the Bruins’ games this season. Against USC, he set new game-highs in receptions and yards, and his 69-yard touchdown catch put UCLA ahead by 12 going into the final quarter.

Even in a loss, Dulcich showed why he should be considered one of the top tight ends in the nation, and he can be a bright spot in the Bruin offense for the next couple of seasons.

Special teams go 50-50

(Andy Bao/Daily Bruin)
(Andy Bao/Daily Bruin)

While the fake punt fiasco was the most memorable special teams play of the night, a couple of other ones – both in the last minute of the game – stood out.

Redshirt freshman kicker Nicholas Barr-Mira was sent out for a 43-yard field goal attempt with 52 seconds left in the contest and the Bruins trailing by one point. Since Barr-Mira nailed a 44-yarder the weekend before, Kelly knew the range was not going to be an issue.

How was the first-year starter – who only had field goal tries in two previous weeks – going to handle the pressure of a go-ahead kick in the biggest game of the year?

He sailed it right through the uprights, proving Kelly’s choice to hand him the starting job was the right call and cementing his position as the replacement for last year’s kicker JJ Molson.

However, the next play showed that UCLA’s special teams are still works in progress. The Trojans returned the kickoff to the Bruins’ 43-yard line, setting up the game-winning touchdown two plays later.

Taking the good with the bad works for good teams, but when it results in a loss, it takes a lot of the shine off the positives.

Jack Perez | Alumnus
Perez was the Sports editor for the 2020-2021 school year. He was previously an assistant Sports editor for the men's volleyball, women's water polo and track and field beats during the 2019-2020 school year and a staff writer on the gymnastics, beach volleyball, women's water polo and men's water polo beats.