UCLA Athletics secures partnership with Nike’s Jordan Brand

UCLA Athletics announced a partnership with Jordan Brand on Tuesday. Starting July 1, the blue and gold will be sporting a Jumpman logo. (Courtesy of UCLA Athletics)

By Jon Christon

Dec. 8, 2020 9:56 a.m.

It’s official – Jumpman is coming to Westwood.

UCLA Athletics announced a partnership with Jordan Brand and its parent company Nike on Tuesday morning. The deal will start July 1, 2021.

“UCLA Athletics is elite, and our student-athletes deserve every resource in their pursuit of excellence,” said UCLA Athletic Director Martin Jarmond in a statement. “We sought to work with the best in the world; that is Nike and Jordan Brand.”

It was first announced through a tweet by the UCLA Athletics Twitter account.

The partnership is a six-year agreement between the school and the apparel company, with 22 of the 25 UCLA varsity sports set to wear Nike, and football, men’s basketball and women’s basketball set to don Jordan.

“Our program is excited and grateful to partner with the Jordan Brand,” said men’s basketball coach Mick Cronin in a statement. “I know that our basketball players are looking forward to having the Jumpman logo on their apparel, as many of these young men are enthusiastic fans of Michael Jordan.”

The news comes after UCLA’s split with Under Armour – the apparel provider for the school for the past three years. Under Armour reneged on its record-breaking, 15-year, $280 million deal with UCLA back in June. Under Armour also split with California and was in talks with Boston College about doing the same.

UCLA in turn sued Under Armour, and it is unknown if those legal proceedings will continue now that UCLA has signed a partnership with Jordan Brand.

Jordan Brand is currently partnered with four other schools for both football and basketball – North Carolina, Michigan, Florida and Oklahoma. It also has a partnership with San Diego State basketball.

UCLA will become the apparel company’s first exclusive Pac-12 school, and the partnership represents the first major move in Jarmond’s tenure in Westwood.

Jon Christon | Sports senior staff
Christon is currently a Sports senior staff writer. He was previously the Sports editor on the men's basketball and football beats and the assistant Sports editor on the women's basketball, softball, men's tennis and women's tennis beats. Christon was previously a contributor on the women's basketball and softball beats.