UCLA names Chandra Bhatnagar as assistant vice chancellor for civil rights

Chandra Bhatnagar will become UCLA’s first assistant vice chancellor for civil rights and will oversee the newly created Civil Rights Office. (Courtesy of Chandra Bhatnagar/UCLA Newsroom)

By Genesis Qu

This post was updated Dec. 2 at 1:45 p.m. with a statement from Chandra Bhatnagar.

UCLA’s newly created office of civil rights will receive its first lead administrator.

Chandra Bhatnagar will become UCLA’s first assistant vice chancellor for civil rights on Jan. 25, 2021, said Vice Chancellor for Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Anna Spain Bradley in a campuswide email Tuesday.

As assistant vice chancellor for civil rights, Bhatnagar will oversee the new Civil Rights Office, serve as the Equal Employment Opportunity Officer and Affirmative Action Officer and reform UCLA’s civil rights investigation system, Bradley added.

UCLA created the CRO in July, after the university merged its three Title IX and discrimination investigation units.

Bhatnagar has been the director of the Staff, Diversity & Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Office, now part of CRO, since 2017. As the director, Bhatnagar handled discrimination claims against staff members at UCLA and in the UCLA Health system, Bradley said.

Before Bhatnagar joined UCLA in 2017, he was a senior attorney advisor at the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. He also worked as a senior staff attorney at the American Civil Liberties Union, focusing on racial justice, immigrants’ rights and human rights.

“Working with the talented staff in UCLA’s civil rights enforcement units, I look forward to building a premiere civil rights office that works together with the whole campus community to remove barriers to equality and ensure that we advance opportunity for all,” said Bhatnagar in an emailed statement.

Genesis Qu | Alumnus
Qu was the 2021-2022 Editor in chief. He was previously the 2020-2021 campus politics editor and a contributor for The Stack. He studied statistics and political science at UCLA.