Wednesday, Jan. 27, 2021

AdvertiseDonate

Tracking COVID-19 at UCLA

Men’s basketball home opener postponed because of COVID-19 protocol

After starting the season 1-1 on the road, coach Mick Cronin and UCLA men’s basketball won’t be back in Pauley Pavilion for a few more days after its game against Long Beach State was postponed Monday. (Andy Bao/Daily Bruin)

By Taiyo Keilin

The Bruins’ home opener has been postponed just hours before tipoff.

UCLA men’s basketball (1-1) was scheduled to host Long Beach State (0-0) at 6:30 p.m. on Monday, but the game was called off, with the team citing “an abundance of caution based on COVID-19 protocol within the Long Beach State program.”

No makeup date has been announced yet.

This is the first time the men’s program has experienced a schedule change this season, while UCLA women’s basketball has had three of its games postponed, with the Nov. 29 cancellation potentially awaiting a rescheduled date.

The Bruins played their first two games of the season last week in San Diego, splitting the contests with a loss to San Diego State and a triple-overtime win over Pepperdine. UCLA’s next four scheduled games are all at Pauley Pavilion – including its first Pac-12 game against California on Dec. 6 – and the Bruins aren’t scheduled to hit the road again until Dec. 19.

Throughout the Pac-12, other schools have had to cancel men’s basketball games as well. California and Arizona have each had a game postponed because of COVID-19 testing and protocols.

UCLA football has also dealt with its share of last-minute changes. The Bruins’ home opener opponent was switched less than two days before the game was supposed to happen.

Barring a rescheduling of the Long Beach State game, the next time UCLA takes the court will be against Seattle Thursday at home.

Taiyo Keilin | Assistant Sports editor
Keilin is currently an assistant Sports editor on the baseball, women's soccer, cross country, women's golf and men's golf beats. He was previously a contributor on the baseball, women's golf and men's golf beats.