Quarterback Chase Griffin staying prepared for football’s matchup against Arizona

Redshirt freshman quarterback Chase Griffin was unable to bring home a win for UCLA football in his first collegiate start. The Texas product may have the chance to lead the Bruins again in Saturday’s game at the Rose Bowl. (Tanmay Shankar/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Sam Connon

Chase Griffin only got one offer from a Power Five program coming out of high school.

Two and a half years after committing to UCLA football (1-2), the now-redshirt freshman quarterback finally made his first start in blue and gold.

“Going into the recruiting process, all I needed was one offer,” Griffin said Tuesday. “I got the offer that I wanted, and this was the place I was supposed to be. There were definitely other places that I could have gone, but nowhere else that I should have gone – I wound up in the perfect spot.”

Griffin said he isn’t fueled by a chip on his shoulder or the lack of attention he received from big-time colleges – despite the fact he was the Gatorade Player of the Year in Texas back in 2018 – but rather by an overall pursuit to be the best at anything he does. The best Griffin could do in Saturday afternoon’s 38-35 loss to Oregon was 195 passing yards, 18 rushing yards, a passing touchdown, two interceptions and a fumble.

The only reason Griffin took over the starting job for the week was because junior quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson was held out of the game because of COVID-19 contact tracing protocols. Thompson-Robinson was one of nine Bruins who could not make the trip to Eugene, which meant a last-minute change at quarterback was suddenly in the cards.

Griffin said he would defer to coach Chip Kelly when it came to disclosing Thompson-Robinson’s availability in practice this week. Kelly said Monday that he did not know if the contact-traced players could return for Saturday’s game against Arizona, meaning Griffin could very well start at quarterback for the second week in a row.

“Every week, I practice to play, practice to win the game,” Griffin said.

Thompson-Robinson – wherever he was – gave his replacement several shoutouts on Twitter during the game. Griffin said Thompson-Robinson has always been a positive influence as a teammate, and the two of them are a big part of why he thinks the quarterback room as a whole is so successful.

Premier pocket protection

(Tanmay Shankar/Daily Bruin senior staff)

The offensive line has proved to keep its quarterback’s jersey cleaner in 2020, regardless of who’s playing the position.

Griffin was sacked twice against Oregon, and Thompson-Robinson was sacked once across UCLA’s first two games of the season. The one sack allowed per game is less than a third of the 3.1 sacks the Bruin offensive line allowed per game in 2019.

“The scheme is really good for us,” said sophomore offensive lineman Duke Clemens. “If we do our job, big plays can happen. … I enjoy that part of it because you trust your teammates to make the plays they’re supposed to make and good things happen from that.”

Thompson-Robinson would buy his offensive linemen Wingstop after games last season. While Griffin said he’s going to wait for the COVID-19 pandemic to calm down to give them a similar reward, he did compliment the unit’s versatility and their ability to help him thrive in the pocket.

“This whole offensive line is really athletic – big, strong, fast, can move. But the best thing about them is they fight together as a unit and they work the fit each play,” Griffin said. “I can’t really ask for anything more as a quarterback.”

Sam Connon | Alumnus
Connon joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2017 and contributed until he graduated in 2021. He was the Sports editor for the 2019-2020 academic year, an assistant Sports editor for the 2018-2019 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, women's basketball, baseball, men's soccer, cross country, men's golf and women's golf beats, while also contributing movie reviews for Arts & Entertainment.