Pac-12 announces schedule change for UCLA football game against Utah

Following a loss against Colorado, junior quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson and UCLA football will have seven days to prepare for the matchup against Utah.
(Kanishka Mehra/Photo editor)

By Taiyo Keilin

The Bruins will have an extra day to prepare for their second game of the season.

UCLA football’s (0-1) Week 2 matchup at Utah (0-0) has been pushed back one day, the Pac-12 announced Sunday afternoon. The schedule update comes after Utah’s season-opener against Arizona was deemed a no-contest.

The Utes were unable to field 53 scholarship players after positive COVID-19 tests and thus requested a postponement from the conference.

UCLA was scheduled to take on Utah at the Rose Bowl on Friday night, but the game is now set to be played Saturday at 7:30 p.m.

Utah’s Athletic Director Mark Harlan said that the program is ready to begin football activities again ahead of the UCLA game, after the initial cancelation news Friday.

“We greatly appreciate the understanding and flexibility of UCLA, the Pac-12 and our conference television rights holders to consider the challenges we have been working through over the past several days,” Harlan said in a statement. “After two consecutive days of no positive COVID-19 test results, we are encouraged that we can resume practice on Monday in preparation for this week’s game at UCLA.”

UCLA is still scheduled to go to Eugene on Friday, Nov. 20, to play Oregon in the third game of the season.

Given the nature of this campaign, the schedule remains subject to change on a weekly basis.

Taiyo Keilin | Sports senior staff
Keilin is currently a Sports senior staff writer. He was previously an assistant Sports editor on the baseball, women's soccer, cross country, women's golf and men's golf beats. Keilin was also a contributor on the baseball, women's golf and men's golf beats.