UCLA football’s freshmen may have chances to shine in 2020 season

Redshirt senior wide receiver Ethan Fernea is one of the oldest players for UCLA football, contrasting with the seven freshmen or redshirt freshmen also listed at the wideout spot for the Bruins. (Kanishka Mehra/Photo editor)

By Jack Perez

In a season with no spring camp and an abbreviated preseason, freshmen theoretically are at a stark disadvantage.

UCLA football’s class of 2020, however, may have an impact on the field this season, especially if the team suffers injuries or positive COVID-19 tests.

One freshman to keep a close eye on is quarterback Parker McQuarrie. The 6-foot-6-inch right-handed passer from New Hampshire has impressed coach Chip Kelly, who said the new addition to the quarterback room brings a few quality tools right away.

“He’s a big, tall, strong kid,” Kelly said. “He’s got a really good release, he’s really accurate in throwing and he’s sharp and he’s picking things up. But obviously coming from a smaller high school, picking up what we’re doing is a little different than maybe what he did. But he’s been really good and that part has been impressive.”

Kelly followed up by saying McQuarrie might have a hard time getting on to the field this season, as junior quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson sits firmly in the No. 1 spot and McQuarrie will not have the necessary practice time to establish himself as the No. 2.

“You wish you could practice more for that position but we can’t run everybody else in the ground,” Kelly said. “We’re also limited by the hours we can spend because we’re all in school, so we are in a 20-hour week and we can’t manufacture extra reps for those guys because you’d have to get another 21 guys with them to get them the exact looks that they need to get, so they’re adapting and doing a good job.”

Another skill position on offense brought in a couple of recruits to provide competition – wide receiver.

(Axel Lopez/Daily Bruin senior staff)
(Axel Lopez/Daily Bruin senior staff)

The wide receivers currently have four freshmen and three redshirt freshmen on the roster. With only five upperclassmen on the team at wideout, redshirt senior wide receiver Ethan Fernea said the new guys have already bought into Kelly’s system in a short time.

“They’re doing really good, man,” Fernea said. “I really like those guys. They’re freshmen, but they immediately come in and get down in with the culture. You know, they’re great locker room guys.”

Two freshmen in particular may see the field sooner rather than later. Wide receivers Logan Loya and Matt Sykes – both listed as four-star recruits by 247 Sports – have been impressive, according to junior wide receiver Chase Cota.

“They’re both looking good,” Cota said. “(Loya has) been here since the spring, and his first day in the spring, he was looking comfortable. He came from a big high school. He’s confident in himself and I’m excited with him. And then Sykes coming from Hawaii, same thing – went to a big high school, has been coached well. So he came in, he’s looking good, too.”

The Bruins may have to rely on these young players this season if an outbreak occurs at either position. Even if they do not get game time this year, Kelly said the nature of recruiting and departures from the school means they will get their chance to shine at some point.

“You’ve got to go with what you go with,” Kelly said. “And that’s the cool part of the college game is that you don’t have guys for a very long time, so you’re constantly turning over your roster, you’re constantly turning over who plays.”

Jack Perez | Alumnus
Perez was the Sports editor for the 2020-2021 school year. He was previously an assistant Sports editor for the men's volleyball, women's water polo and track and field beats during the 2019-2020 school year and a staff writer on the gymnastics, beach volleyball, women's water polo and men's water polo beats.