Monday, Oct. 25, 2021

Tracking COVID-19 at UCLACampus Safety

Department of Film, TV and Digital Media suspends fall 2021 graduate applications

The UCLA Department of Film, Television and Digital Media is suspending applications to its graduate programs for fall 2021. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Genesis Qu

The UCLA Department of Film, Television and Digital Media is suspending applications to its graduate degree programs to reevaluate the structure of its graduate programs.

The Department of Film, Television and Digital Media, a department in the School of Theater, Film and Television, will not accept applications to its graduate programs for fall 2021 to review its programs and build a curriculum that better integrates its department programs, said interim department chair Steve Anderson in an emailed statement.

The department began the evaluation after a review from the Academic Senate, Anderson said. TFT spokesperson Noela Hueso declined to comment on the content of the review.

The UCLA Department of Film, Television and Digital Media offers its graduate programs in animation, cinema and media studies, cinematography, producing, production/directing and screenwriting, according to the department website.

The department is experimenting with having faculty teach or co-teach classes that cross traditional program lines and will consider insights from these experiments in changes to the entire graduate curriculum, Anderson said.

Anderson said the department has had to adjust its classes to be delivered remotely because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Current graduate students can continue their programs under the originally designed curriculum but will have the opportunity to experiment with electives that combine topics across programs, Anderson said.

“These are challenging times for higher education in general — and film study in particular — but it’s also exciting to be thinking expansively about the future of the department and the scholarly and creative potentials for graduate film education at UCLA,” Anderson said in the statement.

Genesis Qu | Editor in chief
Qu is the 2021-2022 Editor in chief. He was previously the 2020-2021 campus politics editor and a contributor for The Stack. He is also a fourth-year statistics and political science student at UCLA.
Child Care Wanted

Seeking energetic, kind babysitter for 4 & 7 yr old in Pacific Palisades. Care mainly involves school pick ups, homework supervision, & after school activities. Must have a reliable car for local driving. Gas will be reimbursed. Hours are generally 2:30-6pm M-Th & 1:30-6pm Fri. Rate $20-25/hr depending on experience. Pls email [email protected] if interested.