UCPD investigates scam calls impersonating campus police

By Elizabeth Sherwood

University police are investigating phone calls from people impersonating police and demanding payment. 

Several members of the UCLA community received calls from a person who claimed to be from campus police starting mid-September, according to a UCPD crime alert. The caller altered their phone number to make it appear as though their calls are coming from the campus police number, the alert said.

The caller told victims they have a warrant out for their arrest or that someone had stolen their identity, according to the alert. The caller also demanded victims pay fines through money transfer apps. The calls are not associated with UCPD, the crime alert said.

There are no suspects and the investigation is ongoing, the crime alert said.

UCPD encourages anyone with information about these calls to contact UCPD detectives.

Elizabeth Sherwood | Assistant News editor
Sherwood is the 2020-2021 Assistant News Editor for the City & Crime beat. She was previously a contributor for National News and Higher Education. She is a second year political science and communications student and digital humanities minor at UCLA.