Monday, Oct. 26, 2020

AdvertiseDonate

Tracking COVID-19 at UCLA2020 Election Endorsements

UCLA Athletics community celebrates upcoming return of football

Rising junior quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson was one of the Bruins who tweeted in response to the news that Pac-12 football would be returning Nov. 6. (Liz Ketcham/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Sam Connon

UCLA football is back, and Bruins across the Twittersphere are celebrating.

More than a month after its season was delayed until 2021, UCLA football will now return to the field the weekend of Nov. 6. University presidents and chancellors from across the Pac-12 unanimously voted to resume the season during a CEO meeting Thursday, according to a statement released by the conference.

UCLA athletes responded to the news with overwhelming support, as many had been calling on administrators and lawmakers to allow a return to play for weeks.

Even new Director of Athletics Martin Jarmond joined in on the celebration.

Sam Connon | Sports senior staff
Connon is currently a Sports senior staff writer for the football and men's basketball beats. He was the Sports editor for the 2019-2020 academic year, an assistant Sports editor on the baseball, men's soccer, cross country, men's golf and women's golf beats from 2018-2019 and a reporter on the baseball and women's basketball beats from 2017-2018. Connon also contributes movie reviews for Arts & Entertainment and co-hosts Daily Bruin Sports' weekly podcast, "Out of Bounds." Connon is a rising fourth-year Communication student from Winchester, Massachusetts.