University may not operate normally for at least a year, says UC Health official

No plans have been announced yet, but the University of California may not resume normal operations until at least September 2021, the UC Health executive vice president said Wednesday. (Justin Jung/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Saumya Gupta

The University of California may not return to normal operations until September 2021 or later, a UC Health official said at the UC Board of Regents meeting Wednesday.

Carrie Byington, the UC Health executive vice president, said she believes COVID-19 mitigation strategies will still be in place across the UC for at least another year. She added she hopes these measures phase out between September 2021 and July 2022.

“This is not something that will go away quickly,” Byington said.

Byington added she told the UC campus chancellors that things will not be back to normal in January and that they need to start planning for their winter terms now.

None of the nine undergraduate UC campuses have announced plans for their winter quarter or semester as of this story’s publication.

Meanwhile, the California State University system announced Sept. 10 that all 23 CSU campuses will operate online over their winter term.

UCLA will operate about 92% remotely for fall quarter. After Thanksgiving break, the few classes being taught in person will switch over to remote instruction. University housing is also operating at a reduced capacity, with about 700 students set to live on campus this fall.

[Related link: UCLA to switch to remote-only instruction for fall, further reduce on-campus housing]

As of Thursday, 211 members in the UCLA community have tested positive for COVID-19, according to UCLA’s COVID-19 tracker. UCLA will begin fall quarter instruction Oct. 1. Move in for university housing will begin Sept. 25.

Saumya Gupta | News senior staff
Gupta was the 2020-2021 assistant News editor for the national news and higher education beat. She was previously a contributor for the beat. She is also a fourth-year psychology student.