Friday, Oct. 30, 2020

AdvertiseDonate

Tracking COVID-19 at UCLA2020 Elections

Academic Senate Undergraduate Council extends deadline for altering grading basis

Students now have until the end of week nine to switch grading options for their classes. (Justin Jung/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Genesis Qu

Undergraduate students can now change their grading option to pass/no pass until the end of week nine during the fall 2020 quarter.

The Academic Senate Undergraduate Council voted at its Aug. 18 meeting to move the deadline for undergraduate students to change their grading basis. The deadline to change is now Dec. 4, the Friday of week nine.

Classes graded on a pass/no pass basis do not affect students’ grade point average.

The decision is meant to better accommodate students who may be experiencing complex situations during the pandemic, UCLA spokesperson Ricardo Vazquez said in an emailed statement. He added the decision will apply to all UCLA departments.

Breeze Valazquez, the Undergraduate Students Association Council Academic Affairs Commissioner, said she initially wanted the deadline to be set in week 10, while the Senate wanted to maintain the usual week six deadline. USAC representatives and other members of the Senate struck a compromise to move the deadline to week nine, she added.

“As a student, especially in this remote learning, you should have the ability to choose what is best for you,” Valazquez said.

The Senate Undergraduate Council also voted in March to extend the deadline to the end of week 10 for the spring 2020 quarter because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Genesis Qu | Assistant News editor
Qu is the 2020-2021 Assistant News editor for the Campus Politics beat. He was previously a reporter for the National News and Higher Education beat. Qu is a third-year statistics and political science student at UCLA.
House for Rent

FURNISHED 3BD/2BA+DEN HOUSE UTIL INCL $8500
Cozy Spanish style home for rent. 5 min drive to UCLA. Driveway Parking for 2 car’s, Game Room, Great Backyard w/Built in BBQ & Bar. Email/Call for Virtual Tour [email protected] 602-618-9499