Saturday, Oct. 24, 2020

AdvertiseDonate

Tracking COVID-19 at UCLA2020 Election Endorsements

UCLA football players join #WeWantToPlay movement in support of starting season

Rising redshirt sophomore defensive back Elisha Guidry was UCLA’s lone co-author on the Pac-12 players’ #WeAreUnited letter published Aug. 2. Guidry has since joined forces with the #WeWantToPlay movement of student-athletes from each of the Power Five conferences. (Tanmay Shankar/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Sam Connon

This post was updated Aug. 10 at 4:27 p.m.

With the college football season on the brink of cancellation, student-athletes are making a last-ditch effort to save it.

A group of college football players from the Power Five conferences came together over the weekend to create the #WeWantToPlay movement – calling for the NCAA to create a players’ union and install COVID-19 protections that will allow the 2020 season to commence as planned. More than two dozen UCLA football players either led the charge or simply joined the conversation Monday on Twitter.

The list of players who came out in support of the Pac-12 players’ #WeAreUnited movement over a week ago is even longer, and there are more players who have seemed to hint their support of #WeWantToPlay without any direct interaction with it.

As for the 30 Bruins who came out in support of #WeWantToPlay by either liking, retweeting or tweeting about it on Twitter, the list is as follows:

Alex Johnson

Atonio Mafi

Beau Taylor 

Bo Calvert

Brittain Brown

Caleb Johnson

Christian Grubb

Deavyn Woullard

Dorian Thompson-Robinson

Elisha Guidry

Evidence Njoku

Jack Landherr IV

Jelani Warren

Jon Gaines II

Josiah Norwood

Kain Medrano

Kenny Churchwell III

Kyle Philips

Martell Irby

Martin Andrus

Michael Churich

Michael Martinez

Mo Osling III

Myles Jackson

Obi Eboh

Osa Odighizuwa

Otito Ogbonnia

Quentin Lake

Qwuantrezz Knight

Siale Liku

The list will continue to be updated.

Sam Connon | Sports senior staff
Connon is currently a Sports senior staff writer for the football and men's basketball beats. He was the Sports editor for the 2019-2020 academic year, an assistant Sports editor on the baseball, men's soccer, cross country, men's golf and women's golf beats from 2018-2019 and a reporter on the baseball and women's basketball beats from 2017-2018. Connon also contributes movie reviews for Arts & Entertainment and co-hosts Daily Bruin Sports' weekly podcast, "Out of Bounds." Connon is a rising fourth-year Communication student from Winchester, Massachusetts.