Friday, Sept. 25, 2020

AdvertiseDonate

Tracking COVID-19 at UCLA2020 Racial Justice Movement

UC to require influenza immunization for students and staff in the fall

The University of California will require students, staff and faculty to receive an influenza immunization for the 2020-2021 academic year, the UC announced in a press release Friday. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Bernard Mendez

The University of California will require an influenza immunization for all students and staff in the fall, according to a press release Friday. 

The new policy adds an influenza vaccination to the UC’s existing list of immunization requirements for the 2020-2021 academic year. The UC also requires its students to vaccinate against measles, tetanus and chickenpox. 

The UC Immunization Policy Committee recommended the policy to reduce the burden on a health care system already fighting against the COVID-19 crisis, according to the press release.

Influenza vaccinations are effective in reducing hospitalizations related to the flu, said Carrie Byington, the executive vice president for the UC Health, in the press release.

“We strongly believe that the health of the individual can affect the health of the entire community,” she said. “This proactive measure on influenza immunizations will help further protect the UC community as well as the public at large.”

Students may request an exemption to the policy by Nov. 1 with the approval from a licensed medical provider.

Bernard Mendez | News editor
Mendez is the 2020-2021 News editor. He was previously a staff news reporter for the Science & Health beat and a developer for The Stack. He is also a third-year math student at UCLA.
Guesthouse for Rent

CHARMING GUEST HOUSE for a single student for rent in Bel Air with its own secluded verdant patio and one mile from UCLA. Low rent of $1,000 includes Sofa, queen-size bed, utilities, washer/dryer, kitchenette and parking. Renter must be a dog lover and willing to house sit two small dogs, as part of rental arrangement. Srila âª(310) 709-4411⬠âª[email protected]â¬