LA will shut off water, power of properties hosting large gatherings starting Friday

The city of Los Angeles will shut off water and power to properties that host large gatherings starting Friday because of COVID-19 concerns, announced LA Mayor Eric Garcetti at a press conference Wednesday. (Esther Li/Daily Bruin)

By Bernard Mendez

Starting Friday, the city of Los Angeles will shut off power and water to properties that hold large gatherings in response to COVID-19 concerns, announced LA Mayor Eric Garcetti at a press conference Wednesday.

Garcetti said if LAPD confirms that a property has hosted a large gathering multiple times, LAPD will give the property notice and request that the LA Department of Water and Power shut off water and power services to that property within 48 hours.

The LA County Department of Public Health said in an emailed statement that large in-person gatherings where people are spaced less than 6 feet apart and do not wear face coverings pose the highest risk to public health. The LACDPH previously issued a “legally binding” health officer order prohibiting large gatherings, the statement added.

Garcetti said that he previously closed nightclubs and bars but said house parties have since become “nightclubs in the hills.”

“This enforcement is not focused on small and ordinary gatherings in people’s homes,” he said. “These are focused on the people determined to break the rules.”

The LACPH said in a press release Wednesday that 60% of the new cases of COVID-19 came from LA residents between the ages of 18 and 49 and that younger residents are being hospitalized now more than before.

Patients between the ages of 18 and 29 make up at least two times the proportion of hospitalizations than they did in April, according to the press release.

LAPD spokesperson Mike Lopez said at the time of publication the LAPD has not received instructions on enforcing the order. Lopez added that once LAPD receives instructions from Garcetti, they will take steps to enforce the measure.

Contributing reports by Justin Jung, Daily Bruin staff.

Bernard Mendez
Mendez was the 2020-2021 News editor. He was previously a staff news reporter for the Science & Health beat and a developer for The Stack. He is also a third-year math student at UCLA.