UCLA athletes given four-phase plan for returning to training in Westwood

Student-athletes will be back on campus as soon as Monday as a part of the first phase of the Return to Training plan. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Taiyo Keilin

Some Bruins are coming back to Westwood.

UCLA Athletics released a four-phase Return to Training plan to bring its athletes back on campus Saturday.

The plan splits all of UCLA’s student-athletes into one of four groups: Group 1 contains all fall Olympic sport student-athletes who live locally plus the football team, Group 2 is composed of men’s and women’s basketball student-athletes, Group 3 comprises the remainder of fall Olympic sport athletes and all other student-athletes who live locally and Group 4 consists of all the remaining student-athletes.

The statement does not clarify what is considered “local” for student-athletes to return with their respective groups.

There is no current timetable for when groups two to four will be allowed back on campus, but for members of Group 1, the voluntary activities of Phase One start as soon as Monday and student-athletes will have the choice to participate.

The mode of transportation that the student-athletes use to return to Westwood will determine whether or not they must partake in a seven-day quarantining period before attending team-sanctioned activities. Student-athletes who arrive by personal vehicle will be exempt from the quarantine period, but those traveling by plane must self-quarantine before reporting for medical screenings.

Once the quarantine period – for those who need it – has passed, all the student-athletes will undergo tests for COVID-19 and antibodies. Assuming they are cleared by medical personnel, they will enter Phase Two.

Phase Two is the return to athletic training, meaning that voluntary workouts – including strength and conditioning activities – will be permitted, given that each workout is performed in groups of 10 of fewer student-athletes, with athletic performance staff supervision.

Everybody who enters an athletic facility will need to abide by the following protocol: daily temperature screening, daily wellness survey, face coverings worn at all times (unless activity suggests otherwise), physical distancing of at least six feet at all times, designated student-athlete groups of 10 or fewer and limited use of facilities – specifically, only where athletic performance and sports medicine activities are taking place.

In addition, all equipment will be frequently cleaned and sanitized between use by the designated groups.

Phase Three is the return to practice. Student-athletes and staff who have cleared the first two phases will be permitted to return to “permissive voluntary captains’ practices,” and organized practices that lie within the Pac-12 and NCAA guidelines. The plan noted that there is no current timetable for when Phase Three will be allowed.

Phase Four is the return to competition and also has no concrete implementation date. Designated student-athletes and staff who cleared the first three phases will be allowed to participate in competition, given that the Pac-12 and NCAA guidelines are met. Specific plans for each sport will be announced based on state and local guidelines.

The plan also includes information about the fueling of the student-athletes via pre-packaged food and ready-to-drink beverages. All staff working with the student-athletes are required to wear face coverings and participate in physical distancing and are encouraged to avoid large social gatherings.

Taiyo Keilin | Sports senior staff
Keilin is currently a Sports senior staff writer. He was previously an assistant Sports editor on the baseball, women's soccer, cross country, women's golf and men's golf beats. Keilin was also a contributor on the baseball, women's golf and men's golf beats.