Saturday, Aug. 15, 2020

AdvertiseDonate

Tracking COVID-19 at UCLA2020 Racial Justice Movement

UCLA implements COVID-19 symptom monitoring survey for students and staff

UCLA guidelines for COVID-19 monitoring require students and staff to fill out a daily survey for COVID-19 symptoms before entering campus. (Tanmay Shankar/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Bernard Mendez

June 19, 2020 11:04 a.m.

Students will be required to fill out a survey to monitor for COVID-19 symptoms daily before entering campus, according to UCLA guidelines for COVID-19 monitoring.

Students will receive a daily email reminder to complete a one- to two-minute survey to monitor for symptoms before entering campus. Upon completion of the survey, students will either receive a certificate to enter campus, which expires at 4 a.m. the next day, or will be directed to call the Arthur Ashe Student Health and Wellness Center COVID-19 hotline to receive instruction for testing or isolation.

Students living in university-owned housing must complete the survey daily.

The Ashe Center will notify students if they come into close contact with a person who tests positive for COVID-19.

UCLA staff must also fill out a survey before coming to work. 

The Facilities Management custodial services will use an Environmental Protection Agency-approved disinfectant for COVID-19 to clean high-touch areas at least twice a day.

Local and state regulations do not require UCLA to administer temperature checks; however, UCLA may administer temperature checks for activities with a high exposure risk, including for research labs handling COVID-19 samples, health care workers and support staff in health care facilities.

UCLA announced Monday that the majority of fall quarter classes will be taught virtually – less than 20% of classes will be taught in person. Some extracurricular activities will still be offered in person. 

UCLA housing will also be offered at a reduced density, and will set aside some rooms specifically for quarantining.

According to a UCLA guide for self-monitoring, COVID-19 symptoms include:

• Body temperature of 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or higher
  • Cough
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Sore throat
  • Muscle aches
  • Diarrhea 
  • Severe fatigue
  • Nasal congestion 
  • Loss of sense or taste or smell
Bernard Mendez | News editor
Mendez is the 2020-2021 News editor. He was previously a staff news reporter for the Science & Health beat and a developer for The Stack. He is also a third-year math student at UCLA.

Beverly Hills Jason, Sunset Blvd and Doheny Dr. Upper Large Studio Appartment,l arge balcony, city view, full kitchen, full bathroom, parquet floor, hot and cold water, garbage, quiet building, available now. Studio $1995,1*1 $2295 #310-991-4777 only no email please.