AdvertiseDonate

Tracking COVID-19 at UCLAStudent at Capitol riots

LAPD opens 56 officer misconduct investigations, reassigns 7 officers after protests

The Los Angeles Police Department is launching 56 investigations for officer misconduct, including 28 cases involving alleged use of force. (Jintak Han/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Kari Lau

The Los Angeles Police Department is investigating 56 cases of officer misconduct and will assign seven officers to nonfield duties following recent protests, according to an LAPD press release Wednesday. 

Twenty-eight cases involve alleged uses of force, and the LAPD assigned 40 investigators to the cases, the press release states.

[Related link: “Protests erupt in Los Angeles in response to death of George Floyd”]

The independent inspector general will oversee the investigations, said Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti in a tweet Wednesday.

Black Lives Matter Los Angeles and the Los Angeles Community Action Network sued the LAPD and LAPD Chief Michel Moore on Friday for excessive force and civil rights violations against protestors, according to NBC Los Angeles. 

Congressman Ted Lieu, whose district includes Westwood and the UCLA campus, also called for Eileen Decker, president of the LA Police Commission, to investigate the police’s use of force against protestors, according to the Los Angeles Times. 

Kari Lau | Assistant News editor
Lau is the 2020-2021 Assistant News Editor for the features and student life beat. She was previously a contributor for the campus politics beat. She is also a second-year student from Honolulu, Hawaii.
Campus Happenings

EMPORIUM THAI is celebrating 21st anniversary and looking for awesome people to join our team ASAP (PT/FT) Servers, Food Expo, Counter Service, Buser, Cashier, Food Prep/Packer and Dishwasher. Submit your resume at https://www.ethaicuisine.com/careers