Saturday, Aug. 15, 2020

AdvertiseDonate

Tracking COVID-19 at UCLA2020 Racial Justice Movement

Coaches, athletes turn to social media to express thoughts on death of George Floyd

As protests continue throughout the nation, UCLA athletes and coaches have taken to social media to express their thoughts on the current climate.(Jintak Han/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Sam Connon

Since the death of George Floyd on May 25, protests have broken out across the nation and people have spoken up.

The athletes that call UCLA home are no different, and many have made their voices heard on social media over the past week.

Athletes of various races and backgrounds have come out in support of the movement, emphasizing the importance of racial solidarity.

Bruins who have moved on from Westwood have spoken out as well, including All-Americans, All-Stars, Hall of Famers and more.

UCLA Athletics made a brief statement on the matter Saturday night, accompanied by a Martin Luther King Jr. quote and a photo of him speaking on campus April 27, 1965. Several Bruin coaches have joined in on the discussion as well.

UCLA football coach Chip Kelly released a statement through the team’s Twitter account Monday, as he doesn’t have his own personal account to share from.

Kelly’s statement has since drawn backlash from multiple players who have recently transferred or graduated because of its lack of specificity and connection to Floyd’s death.

Sam Connon | Sports senior staff
Connon is currently a Sports senior staff writer for the football and men's basketball beats. He was the Sports editor for the 2019-2020 academic year, an assistant Sports editor on the baseball, men's soccer, cross country, men's golf and women's golf beats from 2018-2019 and a reporter on the baseball and women's basketball beats from 2017-2018. Connon also contributes movie reviews for Arts & Entertainment and co-hosts Daily Bruin Sports' weekly podcast, "Out of Bounds." Connon is a rising fourth-year Communication student from Winchester, Massachusetts.

Beverly Hills Jason, Sunset Blvd and Doheny Dr. Upper Large Studio Appartment,l arge balcony, city view, full kitchen, full bathroom, parquet floor, hot and cold water, garbage, quiet building, available now. Studio $1995,1*1 $2295 #310-991-4777 only no email please.