Friday, Oct. 30, 2020

AdvertiseDonate

Tracking COVID-19 at UCLA2020 Elections

Former men’s soccer coach Jorge Salcedo to plead guilty to racketeering charges

Former UCLA men’s soccer coach Jorge Salcedo will plead guilty to conspiring to commit racketeering, according to a plea agreement unsealed Tuesday. Salcedo resigned in March 2019 following the initial charges and a first-round exit in the 2018 NCAA tournament. (Liz Ketcham/Photo editor)

By Jintak Han and Sam Connon

Jorge Salcedo, the former UCLA men’s soccer coach who resigned following his involvement in the 2019 college admission bribery scheme, will plead guilty to conspiring to commit racketeering, according to a plea agreement released Tuesday.

Prosecutors will recommend the lower end of penalties for racketeering, which can result in up to 20 years in prison and a fine of $250,000. The plea deal, which Salcedo signed Sunday, will dismiss all other charges against Salcedo, including conspiring to commit bribery, mail fraud and wire fraud.

Salcedo will have to forfeit $200,000 as part of the plea, the amount of money he took from multiple families attempting to secure their children’s admission to UCLA. Both families accused of paying Salcedo and consultant Rick Singer for fabricating their children’s soccer profiles and arranging admission to the university have already pleaded guilty to separate criminal charges.

Xiaoning Sui, who paid Singer’s company $400,000 to recruit her son into UCLA’s men’s soccer program, pleaded guilty to federal program bribery in February. Bruce and Davina Isackson, who paid $250,000 for their daughter’s admission, pleaded guilty to fraud and money laundering charges in May 2019 and are cooperating with prosecutors.

The former men’s soccer coach received $100,000 from each family’s payment, according to court documents.

Salcedo joins the dozens of parents, coaches and administrators who have already pleaded guilty or been sentenced for their involvement in the scandal since March 2019.

Jintak Han | Senior staff photojournalist & news reporter
Jintak Han is a senior staff photojournalist and news reporter. Working at the Bruin through his entire undergraduate career from 2014 to 2020, Han has won dozens of awards and national recognition for his photojournalism. He is also known for his investigative reporting and is a staff writer for the City & Crime beat. He previously served as the 2016-2017 Assistant Photo editor and worked as a weekend reporter at the Korea Times for most of 2019.
Sam Connon | Sports senior staff
Connon is currently a Sports senior staff writer for the football and men's basketball beats. He was the Sports editor for the 2019-2020 academic year, an assistant Sports editor on the baseball, men's soccer, cross country, men's golf and women's golf beats from 2018-2019 and a reporter on the baseball and women's basketball beats from 2017-2018. Connon also contributes movie reviews for Arts & Entertainment and co-hosts Daily Bruin Sports' weekly podcast, "Out of Bounds." Connon is a rising fourth-year Communication student from Winchester, Massachusetts.
House for Rent

FURNISHED 3BD/2BA+DEN HOUSE UTIL INCL $8500
Cozy Spanish style home for rent. 5 min drive to UCLA. Driveway Parking for 2 car’s, Game Room, Great Backyard w/Built in BBQ & Bar. Email/Call for Virtual Tour [email protected] 602-618-9499