Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Advertise
NewsSportsArtsOpinionThe QuadPhotoVideoIllustrationsGraphicsThe StackPRIMEEnterpriseInteractivesPodcasts

Curfew in Westwood starts at 6 p.m. Follow our coverage of countywide protests against racial injustice here.

UCLA records 2 new cases of COVID-19 in community, bringing total to 7

By Jintak Han

March 28, 2020, 9:36 pm

UCLA reported its first case of COVID-19 in on-campus housing Saturday, one of two new cases in the university community.

A university staff member who lives in an on-campus apartment and a student who lives in off-campus housing not owned by the university tested positive for the novel coronavirus, UCLA announced Saturday. The two new cases bring the total to seven in the UCLA community.

The university did not disclose when the staff member and the student received their test results on its case update page. The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health announced Westwood only saw one new case of COVID-19 on Saturday. 

Most students who lived on the Hill have already moved off campus after UCLA transitioned spring quarter instruction online.

The county recorded 339 new cases of coronavirus Saturday, bringing the total to 1,804. The number of COVID-19 patients requiring intensive care in California also more than doubled from 200 to 410, Gov. Gavin Newsom said at a press conference Saturday.

The Naval hospital ship USNS Mercy, which arrived in LA on Friday, is expected to free up space in LA County hospitals to meet the surge in COVID-19 patients.

Jintak Han | Senior staff photojournalist & news reporter
Jintak Han is a senior staff photojournalist and news reporter. He photographs anything that catches his eye and writes for the City & Crime beat. He previously served as the 2016-2017 Assistant Photo editor.

Ariel Court-535 Gayley Ave. Private studio and 1 bdrm apartments available for Summer and/or Fall. Walk across the street to campus! Parking, pool & fitness ctr. at property. Specials up to 2 Months Free! Studios from $2,099 & 1×1 from $2,400. Mention this ad for $0 Application fee (310) 208-3818 www.decron.com