Friday, April 3

UCLA moves Bruin Day online because of COVID-19 outbreak

Admitted freshman and transfer students will attend webinars, Instagram Lives and other online events this year in lieu of the traditional Bruin Day (Daily Bruin file photo)

Admitted students will have to experience UCLA through a series of online events in lieu of Bruin Day because of the coronavirus outbreak. 

The university is working on building a months-long plan to engage admitted freshmen and transfer students online, UCLA spokesperson Ricardo Vazquez said in an emailed statement.

The online events, which include webinars, chats, Instagram Lives, phone calls and print media, will cover the content that students would typically experience at Bruin Day, Vazquez added.

“We are still in the process of formulating some of the plans with our campus partners, and we will share those with our admitted students over the next several weeks,” Vazquez said.

The outbreak of COVID-19, which first emerged in December, has forced UCLA to suspend all nonessential campus events for spring quarter. The university announced March 13 it would be moving classes online for the entirety of spring quarter.

Three members of the UCLA community have tested positive for the coronavirus two staff members and one student.

Eleven people have died from COVID-19 in Los Angeles County, which currently has over 660 cases. California Gov. Gavin Newsom ordered Californians to “stay at home” Thursday and banned all public gatherings to prevent the spread of the disease.

Follow all of our coronavirus coverage here
Assistant News editor

Shapero is an assistant News editor in the National News & Higher Education beat. She was previously a contributor for the National News & Higher Education beat. Shapero is a third-year political science student who enjoys covering national and statewide news.

• Richard C

From the South China Morning Post — the headline is the story link — “Coronavirus hits expert Ian Lipkin, as global cases surpass 400,000”. Lipkin states in the article: “If it can hit me, it can hit anybody. I know where I think I got it but that’s not the same as proving. But it doesn’t matter. This virus can be found all over the United States.”

• Toccara

Do you wish to overcome the current global economic crisis 2020 due to Corona Virus and want to make 6,000-8,000 dollars each and every month by working from home with your pc and internet?. You can earn a tons of cash through it and after day to day expenses it’s also possible to save a great amount of cash for investing also because now you can buy good business’s stock at discounted prices and later on it is possible to sell those stocks at high gains and can use some part of gains in travelling the entire world with your family and friends when the corona Virus ends. CHECK IT OUT —> bay25.com